Newbie, and going around in circles with Teensy

Exclusive Steve

Hi Folks,

Like the title says - I am new to the coding thing. I have a Mac on high sierra and I am trying to install Arduino and Teensy. Getting a little frustrated as I cannot get Teensy to find the Arduino folder.
I have gone over and over pages of forums about privacy settings for documents on the mac ..but, Teensy or Arduino aren't asking for permissions and therefore not showing on the privacy settings.

I am pulling my hair out with this, and I haven't even got passed the install bit.....

arduino teensey issue.jpeg

security for arduino.jpeg

Any help ?? Please before I go bald :)

The Documents/Arduino folder is where the programs you write get saved.

This installer wants you to tell it the location of the Arduino software you downloaded (from Arduino's website). Normally browsers on MacOS will automatically unzip the archive and put it in you Downloads folder. When you find it, it'll probably be named "Arduino.app".

If you move the Arduino program to Applications (as many people do with MacOS) the installer should find it automatically. Maybe simpler to just do that before running the installer.

You could also try downloading the all-in-one Teensyduino which is meant for newer MacOS versions. Even though it's meant for Catalina to Monterey, I'm pretty sure it also works on a few prior versions like Mojave, High Sierra, normal Sierra. You only need the installer for much older MacOS, like Mavericks or the versions which were named after cats. Just give it a try. It your MacOS is too old, you'll know right away. You'll either see an error that it's incompatible, or it will try to start up but quit or crash after just a few seconds.

Legend!!

The Documents/Arduino folder is where the programs you write get saved.

This installer wants you to tell it the location of the Arduino software you downloaded (from Arduino's website). Normally browsers on MacOS will automatically unzip the archive and put it in you Downloads folder. When you find it, it'll probably be named "Arduino.app".

If you move the Arduino program to Applications (as many people do with MacOS) the installer should find it automatically. Maybe simpler to just do that before running the installer.

You could also try downloading the all-in-one Teensyduino which is meant for newer MacOS versions. Even though it's meant for Catalina to Monterey, I'm pretty sure it also works on a few prior versions like Mojave, High Sierra, normal Sierra. You only need the installer for much older MacOS, like Mavericks or the versions which were named after cats. Just give it a try. It your MacOS is too old, you'll know right away. You'll either see an error that it's incompatible, or it will try to start up but quit or crash after just a few seconds.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OMG!! LEGEND!!

I don't know how to thank you. I found the Arduino.app and the Next button just lit up (as if like a dog begging for a treat) to push it and continue.

I have wasted 3 - 4 days going round in circles, downloading, installing then uninstalling to start again and see if it would ask for permissions. Clicking the ? button for it to say file bad or missing. checking and downloading another to see if it was compatibility issues.

Just grrr....

But, now (for now until the next hurdle) I am delighted and safe that my hair only has a bald spot and not the whole egg head thing.

Thank you again.....and again...and ...again

Back