Multi-channel audio via USB in Teensy 4.1

This might be a very noob question, any pointers and help would be deeply appreciated.

Background:
  1. I am attempting to replicate: https://hackaday.io/project/2984-te...g/57537-tdm-support-for-many-channel-audio-io
  2. I want to extend this to support data via USB audio
  3. There is no need for me to have a high sample rate, ideally few khz sampling would be more than enough for my need

Ideal Flow: PC -> USB (2 channel muxed input) -> Teensy 4.1 -> demux code with alignment -> TDM (16 channels) -> DAC -> Amplifier

Questions:
  • Can i use teensy to show more than two channels, say 16 via USB audio?
  • If not can I multiplex 16 channels down to two channels, and demux it at teensy?
  • How do I process the data from USB, all the examples I have seen uses patchcord directly

Any pointers to any existing code would be deeply appreciated.

I remember Paul said that it is theoretically possible to have multichannel USB audio but you would need to do a lot of work with the USB protocol in order to do it.

If you only need a few khz, you could try doing it over serial. That should be fairly simple to setup and I think it should be able to do it, dependent upon what you mean by a few khz. It might not be particularly reliable though.

With Teensy's stereo 44.khz 16 bit audio, you probably could fit 16 low quality signals in there but you would firstly need to encode them on the PC and then decode them, both of which would be a pain. You could patch the audio into a queue object for processing the samples. This doesn't seem like a good solution though.

Back