Teensy 4.1 GPIO input voltage concern

hobbyist

Hello everyone.

I'm working on a project involving a custom fabricated PCB that will interface with the Teensy 4.1 and various other sensors, including an Atlas Scientific EZO EC board. As I will be using a SD card on the Teensy for data logging, I have to use external voltage regulators to change my input voltage (5V USB) to 3.3V to power the sensors.

Here is my dilemma:

I'm using the NCP161 LDO regulator (Mouser product page: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/863-NCP161ASN330T1G). After testing it today, I realized that instead of supplying 3.3V, it supplies around 3.7V.
As I will be using the EZO EC board (which communicates via Serial) with the Atlas Scientific Inline Voltage Isolator, I am concerned that the pullup resistors on RX/TX in the Voltage Isolator (https://files.atlas-scientific.com/basic-ezo-inline-voltage-isolator.pdf) will cause an input voltage of over 3.3V on the Teensy's pins.

Since this is outside of its operating parameters, I was wondering if I should use it in this state. I haven't tested it with the Teensy yet as I'm afraid of frying it.

Unfortunately, I can't change the voltage regulator, as I have already ordered (and received) the custom fabricated PCB.

Many thanks.

Hello,

The regulator should output 3.3V, not 3.7V. How are you measuring this output voltage? Do you have a decent multimeter?

Hello,

The regulator should output 3.3V, not 3.7V. How are you measuring this output voltage? Do you have a decent multimeter?

I'm measuring the output voltage by connecting the multimeter probes to the output and ground pins on the regulator. I think the multimeter is fairly accurate, as it read the USB voltage accurately when compared to a USB safety tester.

AFAIK Teensy 4.1 must be powered by VIN pin, which can handle 3.6...5.5V. So your stabilizer should be ok for powering Teensy thru VIN pin.

If everything is right, your regulator should output within specs but it's not. Touch your regulator with a finger tip. If it is warm, there' something wrong in your circuits. Unless you post enough information regarding your circuits, I suggest you follow aleglakov's recommendation and use teensy's VIN to feed power, then use teensy's 3.3V output for now to power your 3.3v electronics.

Back