Disable port in Teensy 4

b0x4it

When using Teensy 4 with breadboard, is it possible to disable some of the ports and use them for connecting other hardware like IR sensor or servomotors? This means that for example in case of IR sensor, the pin that is powered is connected to one of the Teensy pins. Same applies to the ground pin. So, I would like to disable these two pins in Teensy to make sure the power and ground inputs doesn't affect teensy.

Thanks

No Teensy boards were found

I am having issue with one of my Teensy 4 boards. The Arduino IDE keeps showing this error:

Memory Usage on Teensy 4.0:
FLASH: code:8372, data:2968, headers:9136 free for files:2011140
RAM1: variables:3488, code:6672, padding:26096 free for local variables:488032
RAM2: variables:12384 free for malloc/new:511904
No Teensy boards were found on any USB ports of your computer.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

What do I need to do? How can I tell what the issue is?
I am connecting it directly to a USB port and it is now even attached to a breadboard.

Thanks

Perhaps : Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

If you didn't upload some sort of sophisticated code that made the pressing of the PROG button useless, then you may have destroyed your board with whatever you were trying to get us to critique that you wanted to do. I find it hard to believe that in 2022 it's still so hard for someone asking questions on electronics to post even a single photo to illustrate what they have and want to do. This isn't pointed at you OP, alone. It's a general sense of laziness of internet folks even when it comes to getting help for themselves.

I'm sad to say that's not a good sign. Your hardware might be damaged.

But if the hardware is still ok, the 15 sec restore would be the path the bring it back from the brink. To do this, hold the pushbutton. After about 15 seconds you'll see the red LED blink (the one near the USB connector), just a very quick flash. Release the pushbutton when you see that quick blink. The restore process takes about 1 minute and you'll see the red LED on continuous & bright. Just let it run until the red light turns off. The board should reboot and if the process works, you'll see the orange LED blinking again, the same as it did when the board was brand new.

If that doesn't work, odds are strong the hardware has a problem. Your first thing to check is the 3.3V power. Just use a DC voltmeter to measure it. Of course it should be approx 3.3 volts. If you get close to zero volts, that's a sign something metal is shorting the 3.3V power to GND. Usually a metal short is fixable if you can find and remove the piece of metal. If you get a low voltage like 0.5 to 0.9 volts, I'm afraid that usually means 1 or more chips are internally damaged and causing the power to short. Typically semiconductors cause a short with that sort of voltage, rather than nearly zero as metal does.

I hope you can also understand how difficult it is to help you when we have so little information. I spent a few minutes just now typing this "cover all the bases" message because I know so little about the problem. I want to help, so I hope you'll consider putting more details into your messages. For solving technical problems, details matter.

I'm sad to say that's not a good sign. Your hardware might be damaged.

But if the hardware is still ok, the 15 sec restore would be the path the bring it back from the brink. To do this, hold the pushbutton. After about 15 seconds you'll see the red LED blink (the one near the USB connector), just a very quick flash. Release the pushbutton when you see that quick blink. The restore process takes about 1 minute and you'll see the red LED on continuous & bright. Just let it run until the red light turns off. The board should reboot and if the process works, you'll see the orange LED blinking again, the same as it did when the board was brand new.

If that doesn't work, odds are strong the hardware has a problem. Your first thing to check is the 3.3V power. Just use a DC voltmeter to measure it. Of course it should be approx 3.3 volts. If you get close to zero volts, that's a sign something metal is shorting the 3.3V power to GND. Usually a metal short is fixable if you can find and remove the piece of metal. If you get a low voltage like 0.5 to 0.9 volts, I'm afraid that usually means 1 or more chips are internally damaged and causing the power to short. Typically semiconductors cause a short with that sort of voltage, rather than nearly zero as metal does.

I hope you can also understand how difficult it is to help you when we have so little information. I spent a few minutes just now typing this "cover all the bases" message because I know so little about the problem. I want to help, so I hope you'll consider putting more details into your messages. For solving technical problems, details matter.

Thank you for the information and instruction and patience. The fact is that I don't have much info to share other than what I already shared. I have two teensy, one is fine and the other one is not working.
I just tried the 15 sec restore method. It didn't work. I then used the voltmeter and measured 0.6V on the 3V pin. The 5V pin still has 5V though. So, I guess it's broken, am I right? This teensy that doesn't work has been sitting on the shelf since last year, so maybe humidity or something damaged it.

Back