Teensy 4.1 with Audio Board 4

soky157

No matter what I do I cannot connect properly the Teensy 4.1 with the Audio Board 4. I have read and followed all the suggestions from the Technical Section. I decided I would go the Teensy 3.6 and Audio Board 3 route, but the Teensy 3.6 is out of stock. Anyone know when it will be in stock?

Any help is very much appreciated.

soky157

Hello can you be more specific. Is it a physical connection problem? Have you soldered the audio board to the Teensy or have you tried to just push them together? That never works and seems to be a recurring problem on this forum.

As @UHF notes the board has to be properly soldered - with GND (marked on bottom side silkscreen) corner of the AUDIO (REV D) centered on the GND corner of the T_4.1 on the USB END by the PIN 0.

@soky157 - Sorry you are having issues with getting the Audio to work with T4.1

Unfortunately it is sort of hard to give you any suggestions on what the issues might be, as there is not enough information here. For example it would really help if you posted pictures of your setup. That way we can maybe see if the pins are not soldered in properly or maybe a short, or maybe the wrong pins are connected... If they plug into each other, maybe offset by some number of pins or backwards or ???

Or maybe it is software issue? What sketch are you trying? What version of Arduino and TeensyDuino? Are your builds showing up using the libraries from Teensyduino, or have other versions of libraries?

Again sorry not sure what else to mention on this?

As for when will T3.6 be available. Hard to say! It might be a. From the post: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/70159-Teensy-3-2-shortage?p=306834&viewfull=1#post306834

Indeed the shortage is terrible for the Kinetis chips on Teensy 3.2, 3.5, 3.6. Earlier this year we were told the chips would have "gradual improvement in Q2" and most would ship in Q3 & Q4. But now NXP is telling us the Kinetis chips won't be available until well into 2023, with a small quantity of the Teensy 3.2 chip in Feb-Mar time frame and the rest in the summer (or 2023).

Someone mentioned soldering the Teensy 4.1 and Audio Board v4 together. Would someone be able to post of a picture and instructions on how to do that please?

Someone mentioned soldering the Teensy 4.1 and Audio Board v4 together. Would someone be able to post of a picture and instructions on how to do that please?

I usually either order my T4.x with pins or solder on my own. Using this, I also solder socket headers to the Audio Board. This arrangement allows me to stack the T4.x on top of the Audio Board, giving clear access to the programming button on the T4.x, and easy access to the microUSB connector in the T4.x as well. I can also replace either board in the event of a catastrophic mistake !!

Specifically for the T4.1, the pins at the end with the microUSB connector on the T4.1 line up with the pins at the end with the audio connector on the Audio Board (if you look at the bottom of the Audio Board, the pins are marked identical to the pin markings on the top of the T4.1).

Hope this helps . . .

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT
20220607_211954[1].jpg20220607_212015[1].jpg20220607_212030[1].jpg

Like everyone else I am puzzled as to what the problem would be. I have not, however, used the audio board with the 4.1. I've used it with the 4.0 and when I'm using a 4.1 I have used the makerhawk 93857 board, which includes a 3watt audio amplifier. It is just monophonic, though.

The SD socket on the 4.1 is more capable than the one on the audio shield and the audio shield will drive headphones but not speakers. Keep wires short.

See https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57208-No-DAC-on-4-0-Alternatives and https://github-wiki-see.page/m/TeensyUser/doc/wiki/Audio-Example-I2S2-on-Teensy-4.0-or-4.1

Pictures and code of what has not worked will get prompt, useful advice here.

Back