Using MLK02 chip to replace Teensy 3.2

shakisus

Hello!

So I was able to create my code and can confirm everything works with the Teensy 3.2. I would like to look for cheaper alternatives for production purposes. I came across the MLK02 chip which I order a few to test. But on the site, it says I need a blank chip with it. The chips listed on the website are sold out everywhere. Are the alternative chips or better yet is there a way to just use the MLK02 chip to run my code off of?

Hello,

The MKL02 is a preprogrammed PJRC bootloader chip, that happens to be a processor to facilitate the reliable USB Programming of the Teensy. It is not usable for any other purpose or function as programmed.

As noted, when configured and interfaced to a 'blank chip' where that is the indicated processor used in the T_3.2 it will configure that blank chip for use and work like a T_3.2 in conjunction with the MKL02.

It can only work with the specified processor MCU chips, which unfortunately are unavailable at this time. Even PJRC that had standing orders where this is the current known status posted HERE:
Update, May 25: Terrible news. Chips for Teensy 3.2 have been delayed until March 2023. Earlier this year we were told "gradual improvement in Q2" and limited supply in Q3 with most chips arriving by Q4. Now NXP has delayed the first chips until March 2023, and the rest until June 2023. PJRC is planning to resume production of Teensy 3.2 when these chips arrive, but if possible, we suggest switching to Teensy 4.0 or Teensy 4.1 for new projects. The IMXRT chip on Teensy 4 is less impacted by the global chip shortage.

As explained on the MKL02 page, you must pair this chip with 1 of 4 possible parts, which are the chips used on Teensy LC, 3.2, 3.5, 3.6.

screenshot.png

No other chips are supported, except for the exact chip part from NXP in a physically different package. If you scroll down to "Examples" on the MKL02 page, you'll see a circuit board with the LQFP packaged MK66FX1M0 chip.

Similar chips from NXP, like MK66FN2M0, are not supported. Microcontrollers from other companies like Renesas absolutely can not work.

Back