Teensyduino 1.57 Beta #3

OOPS! Spoke too soon:

Failed to install platform: teensy:avr.
Error: 13 INTERNAL: Cannot install tool teensy:teensy-compile@1.56.1: moving extracted archive to destination dir: rename C:\Users\ptt1957\AppData\Local\Arduino15\tmp\package-3824465983\tools c:\Users\ptt1957\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\teensy\tools\teensy-compile\1.56.1: Access is denied.

Since I was running IDE 2.0 as administrator, I'm not sure where that came from...

No reply needed unless you know what's going on. I can always use the new teensyduino installer with my old 1.8.xx.

Thanks

Sorry don't know that one. either
A couple of guesses:
1) The file already existed there and as such the file could not be renamed
2) directory permissions. I don't have a machine that is setup with lots of privileges setup... So not sure.

As for installing without Internet... Not sure.
I know that with Arduino 1.x, that some would install stand alone mode and have everything in a nice contained place that they could copy to another computer or thumb drive...
But so far it looks like they have not implemented that for IDE2:
https://github.com/arduino/arduino-ide/issues/122
https://forum.arduino.cc/t/ide-2-without-the-internet/956675

Maybe Windows Defender or other anti-malware software got spooked and interfered with access to the filesystem?

I recall Defragster had a similar problem where it wouldn't allow teensy_secure.exe to be written, even though all the other files were installed. Apparently some sort of short-lived notification was shown, but underneath other windows, so not actually visible.

Maybe Windows Defender or other anti-malware software got spooked and interfered with access to the filesystem?

I recall Defragster had a similar problem where it wouldn't allow teensy_secure.exe to be written, even though all the other files were installed. Apparently some sort of short-lived notification was shown, but underneath other windows, so not actually visible.

@Paul: Files were installed and written with IDE 2 Board Manager. Discovered that "MalwareBytes" on first scan/execution caught the Teensy_secure as matching a signature/pattern they didn't approve of.

RE 'Secure' > I posted question a bit back p#15 - Asked if the Teensy_Secure.exe was rebuilt versus the IDE 1.8.x version that never triggered? Maybe the "eHex Crypto" code in it matches a RansomeWare/Crypto attack pattern/signature?

RE @aka_ptt: This is something in the system protecting itself - though more info is needed:
> It seems the IDE 2.0 properly installed?
> during IDE 2.0 install it triggers a series of Windows 'firewall exceptions/permissions' given the way the BoardMgr grabs things 'from online' and puts them in that '%appdata%\..\local' area
> Given those needed permissions/exceptions - if the 'user' isn't Admin, even with IDE run as Admin - perhaps it spawns the install in a way that loses Admin and runs with 'user's non-Admin permission?

I will ditto what @defragster stated with Defender with the exception that Norton blocked a series of files from the IDE2.0 install. I installed from zip. I had to catch each one and manually exclude it from Norton scan (the bad files)

@Paul: Files were installed and written with IDE 2 Board Manager. Discovered that "MalwareBytes" on first scan/execution caught the Teensy_secure as matching a signature/pattern they didn't approve of.

RE 'Secure' > I posted question a bit back p#15 - Asked if the Teensy_Secure.exe was rebuilt versus the IDE 1.8.x version that never triggered? Maybe the "eHex Crypto" code in it matches a RansomeWare/Crypto attack pattern/signature?
I thought I checked that back then. Did it just now and looks like, they are the same files... Used WinMerge to check... Probably not the best tool for this but:
screenshot.jpg

Side question: I know soft of off-topic. Have others had better luck with different Anti-virus? Like PCMatic? or ???

Again I thought I checked it back then, when I was trying to determine if the teensy-monitor had changed between builds (Package 1 versus 53). I though with 1 that the pluggable monitor code was working but not with 53... Turns out they are acting the same.
Working with Ubuntu and MAC but not fully with Windows. Appears to be a Teensy issue... More earlier in thread...

I thought I checked that back then. Did it just now and looks like, they are the same files... Used WinMerge to check... Probably not the best tool for this but:
View attachment 28934

Side question: I know soft of off-topic. Have others had better luck with different Anti-virus? Like PCMatic? or ???

Again I thought I checked it back then, when I was trying to determine if the teensy-monitor had changed between builds (Package 1 versus 53). I though with 1 that the pluggable monitor code was working but not with 53... Turns out they are acting the same.
Working with Ubuntu and MAC but not fully with Windows. Appears to be a Teensy issue... More earlier in thread...

Thanks @KurtE - I unzipped and ran the IDE 2rc8 to try that here - the IDE 2 never started ... so could not get to see BrdMgr. The ANNOYING SPLASH sits on top of one screen - and the app just sits there - blank window spinning ?

Note: currently I am running with the daily build. A reasonable amount of changes have gone in recently.

My process for this is sort of convoluted, in that I download the zip file...

I have one directory on my machine that I keep unzipping the daily into, which I first delete all of the contents.
Note: I have also told Norton not to mess with this folder... Which may or may not be good. But when I am in doubt I remove some of thee directories from the list and run through the scans...
screenshot.jpg

Just stopped IDE 2.0 Nightly first run from unzip at 2 hours 52 minutes. <<EDIT : after restart noted below : Splash stayed up and nothing on App window ...

Pulled down the nightly IDE 2.0: arduino-ide_nightly-20220716_Windows_64bit.zip

Unzipped to empty dir, double clicked the "Arduino IDE.exe" and it SPUN for 1 hour and 40 minutes with no progress or question prompts? Same as before - but longer wait for nothing.

Not rebooted since last RC8 attempt - machine been powered for 9.5 days ... will have to restart and try.

Got back after restart - first thing Run IDE 2 as ADMIN ... 7 minutes no sign of life yet.

MalwareBytes told not to scan this folder so it won't stop anything running here (which may explain not finding issue with Teensy_Secure.exe before?) and Windows Defender scan finds nothing ... so just failing on this Win 11 system. Was there something about deleting some folders that relates to this behavior?

Last edited:
@defragster

Had similar problem when I installed RC8 from the zip (pretty much the same process you did). When I first did installed it and tried to run it did the exact same thing as you described. Eventually I realized that Norton had blocked several files from being installed. I had to reinstall and tell Norton to exclude each file. Then it loaded and ran each file. I dont remember having that issue with RC7 though.

If you have windows defender turned on you may want to disable it while you install rc8.

@defragster - a few things to maybe try.

1) run the exe in a command window and see if anything interesting prints out in the window.

2) I think it was supposedly fixed a few RC's ago, but earlier I ran into issue where it would not start up. Turns out there was an error in processing some specific
versions of ESP32 release if I remember correctly... At the time you either had to downgrade it or I thought newer version was up...

I resolved it back then by renaming my whole Arduino15 directory and started fresh... But you lose all of the installed boards, plus information about libraries that were installed.
You might try that...

Note I have not tried W11 so no idea if that impacts at all. Maybe one of these days I will upgrade to new computer... W11 is not officially supported on my version of i7 Processor...

@defragster - a few things to maybe try.

May have to resort to '2)'. ESP32 is installed - latest AFAIK ...
'1)' gives some err info but not seeing any fix for it:
Code:
C:\T_Drive\ardIDE_2>
Starting backend process. PID: 28708
Using browser-only version of superagent in non-browser environment
Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, realpath 'R:\Temp'
    at Function.realpathSync.native (node:fs:2540:3)
    at Function.native (node:electron/js2c/asar_bundle:5:4819)
    at new SketchesServiceImpl (C:\T_Drive\ardIDE_2\resources\app\node_modules\arduino-ide-extension\lib\node\sketches-service-impl.js:47:51)
    at _createInstance (C:\T_Drive\ardIDE_2\resources\app\node_modules\inversify\lib\resolution\instantiation.js:27:12)
    at Object.resolveInstance (C:\T_Drive\ardIDE_2\resources\app\node_modules\inversify\lib\resolution\instantiation.js:47:18)
    at C:\T_Drive\ardIDE_2\resources\app\node_modules\inversify\lib\resolution\resolver.js:75:42
    at Object.resolve (C:\T_Drive\ardIDE_2\resources\app\node_modules\inversify\lib\resolution\resolver.js:99:12)
    at C:\T_Drive\ardIDE_2\resources\app\node_modules\inversify\lib\container\container.js:335:37
    at Container._get (C:\T_Drive\ardIDE_2\resources\app\node_modules\inversify\lib\container\container.js:326:44)
    at Container.get (C:\T_Drive\ardIDE_2\resources\app\node_modules\inversify\lib\container\container.js:243:21) {
  errno: -4068,
  syscall: 'realpath',
  code: 'EISDIR',
  path: 'R:\\Temp'
}
Configuration directory URI: 'file:///c%3A/Users/Tim/.theia'
Theia app listening on http://localhost:49360.
root INFO Finished starting backend application: 4.6 ms [Finished 1.919 s after backend start]
Restoring workspace roots: c:\T_Drive\ShotWatcher\PICO_WAYNE\2200\Blink_all_LEDs
[27012:0717/183449.341:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(453)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is disabled, ANGLE is
Marking workspace as a closed sketch. Workspace URI: file:///c%3A/T_Drive/ShotWatcher/PICO_WAYNE/2200/Blink_all_LEDs. Date: 1658108443422.
Storing the sketch as a workspace root: <c:\T_Drive\ShotWatcher\PICO_WAYNE\2200\Blink_all_LEDs>.
Stored workspaces roots: c:\T_Drive\ShotWatcher\PICO_WAYNE\2200\Blink_all_LEDs

May have to resort to '2)'. ESP32 is installed - latest AFAIK ...
'1)' gives some err info but not seeing any fix for it:
Again you might need to try 2)...

I also suggest for anyone experimenting (or attempting to and failing) to check the Arduino IDE or CLI projects for open issues and if none found open one.
https://github.com/arduino/arduino-ide/issues
https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli/issues

The good part about this, is the IDE is improving. Several of my earlier issues are now being resolved. In fact I just download the Artifact from the latest PR, which closed one of my issues as fixed.

But it is at times the Bleeding edge, where sometimes you end up with some strange error. Like yesterday I tried a build and the error shown was:
Code:
grpc: error while marshaling: proto: Marshal called with nil

Compilation error: grpc: error while marshaling: proto: Marshal called with nil
Which I thought was a very obvious understandable error message :D

But again it is getting better!

The good part about this, is the IDE is improving. Several of my earlier issues are now being resolved. In fact I just download the Artifact from the latest PR, which closed one of my issues as fixed.
But again it is getting better!

IDE 2 Worked here Months back so as always, some improvements come with caveats - or it may be the update to the ESP32 boards creating some issue.

Was just looking to repro the Teensy_Secure.exe issue after installing that - but you confirmed the EXE is unchanged (thanks!) ... and in the process trying to scan the unzip folder, I found explicit 'MalwareBytes folder Exception' for the TeensyDuino installed copy that explains why it has been working.

I have arduino 1.8.19 installed and using with teensyduino 1.56. I want to try IDE 2.0 and still have 1.8.19 as a fallback, can I have both installed and and use the 1.57 beta on 2.0 only? How can I install teensyduino beta to only the 2.0 version?

I have arduino 1.8.19 installed and using with teensyduino 1.56. I want to try IDE 2.0 and still have 1.8.19 as a fallback, can I have both installed and and use the 1.57 beta on 2.0 only? How can I install teensyduino beta to only the 2.0 version?

Note it is probably best to ask questions about IDE2 up on the thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/53548-Arduino-CLI-Alpha-Release-Teensy-Support
Actually I just renamed that thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/53548-Arduino-CLI-And-IDE-2-RC-Release-Teensy-Support

I am not sure I can give a 100% full answer to this one.

Yes you can continue to run 1.8.19. Note: I install all of mine using zip file setups...

The Teensy support for the two setups is done very differently:

for Arduino 1.x you use the Teensyduino installer, and you install it as a sub-directory of your install.

For the Arduino 2.x stuff, Paul has a real Arduino Board Installer, that you add the URL to where it is located, and then install using the board Manager and it goes into
the Arduino15 directories...

So they should be reasonably independent. And the new installs of TD 1.57B3 (and maybe B2) will work. That is if you startup Arduino 1.8.9 with one of these releases, it will use what is installed in the <Arduino 1.8.9 install>/hardware/teensy/....
But I believe earlier releases, by default Arduino will notice the install in Arduino15 and use it. So I am not sure for example if you are still using 56 release how you would force it to be used.

Not sure if that makes sense?

Kurt, i think it makes sense. Is the Board Installer version the same as what i downloaded from the first page on this thread?

Chuck

how do i get teensyduino in the boards manager? I don't see how to add it to the manager? Ok i found it under preferences, what do i use for the URL?

I changed the Windows build process to add signatures to the various utilities like teensy_post_compile.exe, teensy_secure.exe, etc. Hopefully this will keep various anti-virus programs from deleting them?

Are there any serious issues I should look at today before packaging up 1.54-beta4? (haven't kept up with a lot of forum threads over the last several weeks while making hardware changes needed due to semiconductor shortages)

My hope is to wrap up 1.57 "soon". It has so many important things, like Wire slave mode, ADC audio input, workaround for MacOS kernel crashing, SdFat large file writing fix, etc. There's also a huge number of not-yet-merged features that are going to be disappointing to have to wait for 1.58... but if we don't get 1.57 wrapped up soon almost everyone stays on 1.56.

I want to try IDE 2.0 and still have 1.8.19 as a fallback

You'll probably need 1.8.19 in portable mode, so it's self contained and not messed up by the packages meant for 2.0-rc9.

One of the recent 1.57-beta improvements was patching 1.8.19 so it doesn't get confused by the Teensyduino package meant for IDE 2.0. If you use Arduino 1.8.19 with Teensyduino 1.56, you won't have that. Just having the package installed for 2.0 will mess up usage of 1.8.19 if using older than recent 1.57 beta. The solution for using 1.56 is portable mode. Or install IDE 2.0 in a virtual machine.

Back