T4.0 audio shield SD problem

Complete newbie here. Never soldered, used a teensy, and never used an programming other than people's pre-made R scripts. I am using a Teensy 4.0 with some stacking female headers to connect to audio shield rev d. If I put an ad card it won't work. I tried using the "beep" example and it works. If I the hardware-->SD card example it says "SD card is unusable" or SD card intialization failed even when I put i put it into the audio shield. I don't know if I fried my board. Is it just a piss poor job of soldering. I checked all connections with a multimeter. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Try running File > Examples > SD > CardInfo.

You try File > Examples > SdFat > SdInfo. But this one is more complicated and might require editing.

These can tell you whether you see the difference been a SD card with formatting (like an unknown filesystem) versus a hardware problem where the card isn't seen at all.

Wow, Thanks for the quick reply. I was at work and couldn't respond earlier. I tried them the results are below:

SD > CardInfo (No alterations):
Initializing SD card...initialization failed. Things to check:
* is a card inserted?
* is your wiring correct?
* did you change the chipSelect pin to match your shield or module?

SdFat > SdInfo (No alterations)
SdFat version: 2.1.0

Assuming an SDIO interface.

type any character to start

SD initialization failed.
Do not reformat the card!
Is the card correctly inserted?
Is there a wiring/soldering problem?
SD errorCode: SD_CARD_ERROR_ACMD41 = 0x17
SD errorData = 0x0

CardInfo suggests the problem is a bad physical connection to the card.

SdInfo tried to use the 8 pads on the bottom of Teensy 4.0, so not a meaningful result since your SD card connects to SPI. Really no point to editing SdInfo (which isn't simple...) since the CardInfo result is pretty conclusive.

To start troubleshooting the hardware, get a voltmeter or LED+resistor. Remove the SD card. Then open File > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink. Run it. Then use the voltmeter or LED+resistor to look for the changing voltage on 1 of the SD card pins. Be careful to touch the wire to only 1 of the exposed SD card pins at a time.

When you find the pin which is changing voltage or makes the LED blink, then edit the pin number and reprogram. Repeat for pins 10 to 13, until you find which pin isn't delivering a changing voltage all the way to the SD socket. Then touch at the pin on Teensy, or the pin on the audio shield. You should be able to see where the changing voltage stops. Then when you know where the break is, reheat the solder which isn't connecting.

Hello,
I tried the blink. Not sure what you meant in your last paragraph by edit pin number and reprogram. I'm assuming because only 1 pin changes voltage at a time from what I can see in the code? By the SD card pins in the third paragraph you mean like the 8 tiny little pins right where you put it into the socket? Then where does the other end of the voltmeter go?

I got it working though. You basically knew there was connection problem so I just reworked all the solder pins and "Eureka!" Got it working! Thanks a lot for your help. You and all the other people who answer questions on here are amazing!

Back