Can't set Teensy 3.6 serial port to 1200 baud

garymq

Hello

I am using Teensy 3.5, Using Arduino compiler 1.8.15.

I am simply setting up an RS232 port (Serial 2) to talk to/from a weather sensor which operates at 1200 baud.

This (standard) code works as expected, no issues on Teensy 3.5:
Code:
WEATHER.begin(1200);WEATHER.setTimeout(5);WEATHER.addMemoryForRead(bufferWs,50);
All reading and writing to and from the port works as expected.

I was unable to get Teensy 3.5's so I started using Teensy 3.6's.

Everything functions as expected, except that I am unable to set the baud rate on the Teensy 3.6 to 1200.
The same code, as above, does not work.

However, I found that the Teensy 3.6 can work if I set the baud rate to 9600:
Code:
WEATHER.begin(9600);WEATHER.setTimeout(5);WEATHER.addMemoryForRead(bufferWs,50);

Does anyone know why the serial port Teensy 3.6 can't be set to 1200 baud?

Thanks

Gary

May be a clock setting problem not tested to an external device at that rate?

Can you cross Serial2 Rx/Tx to another port on the {same or other} T_3.6 and set them both up at 1200 baud and try send and receive on each?

If they work to talk to each other, the problem is likely a clock setting issue.

If the lines can connect to an LA/Scope the rate present could be shown perhaps to see if the error is minor or major.

Try looking at https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_uart.html farther down in page shows tackle of baud rates

it depends on which hart you are using.

Thanks, Yes I've just taken a look at that chart.
Looks like Serial 1 UART at 1200 is 14% in error on the 3.6, but ok on the 3.5, with a CPU clock at 180MHz.

So that explains that.

Since the UART speed seems dependent on the CPU clock I wonder if changing the CPU clock will change the error?
I might try that.

Gary

Could you not user Serial3, it's right next door to Serial2?

Nope.

This is a production PCB, designed to use the Teensy 3.5.
Everything has been going well, but over the past few months, Teensy 3.5 has been impossible to source.
So I started looking at the Teensy 3.6, which has got the same pinout - hence the problem.

Does anyone know why the serial port Teensy 3.6 can't be set to 1200 baud?

It's a hardware limitation. Freescale (now NXP) decided to connect the UARTs for Serial1 & Serial2 to the faster CPU clock (F_CPU). The other 4 ports run from the slower peripheral clock (F_BUS). The other Kinetis chips do this too, so you get some serial ports capable of much higher baud rates.

A more thoughtful design would have increased the number of bits in the baud rate divider on the ports which run from a higher clock speed. But that's not the way they made the chip. All the UARTs (except the one for Serial6) have exactly the same baud rate hardware with a 13 bit divider. And of course the UART divides the clock by 16 too.

So the slowest possible baud rate is Clock ÷ (8192 × 16). On Serial1 & Serial2, the clock is 180 MHz, which results in a slowest baud rate of 1373 bits/sec.

I afraid the only way to get 1200 baud on Serial2 is to slow the CPU clock. You can do that with Tools > CPU Speed. 144 or 120 MHz should work.

It's a hardware limitation. Freescale (now NXP) decided to connect the UARTs for Serial1 & Serial2 to the faster CPU clock (F_CPU). The other 4 ports run from the slower peripheral clock (F_BUS). The other Kinetis chips do this too, so you get some serial ports capable of much higher baud rates.

I afraid the only way to get 1200 baud on Serial2 is to slow the CPU clock. You can do that with Tools > CPU Speed. 144 or 120 MHz should work.

Paul - Thanks very much for your detailed answer!

I tried the Teensy 3.6 compilation with CPU speed = 144MHz (instead of the default 180MHz) and Serial 2 can now be set to 1200 baud.
As close as I can measure it was within a few percent of true 1200 speed.

Thanks again, I can now use Teensy 3.6 in place of the 3.5..
(Will still have to do something more drastic as both 3.6 and 3.5 are very hard to get.)

Gary

Back