Board-to-board soldering

metalgimp

I would like to solder the Teensy module directly to my circuit board. I know that this means:
  • The holes compassing the module can be soldered to pads on my board.
  • The pads on the bottom of the module must be mated with holes on my board.
  • Both pads must be "silvered" with a layer of solder to ensure proper solder joints.
Thoughts?

Be sure to check underneath the Teensy, as several of the Teensies have protrusions on the bottom. Some of the PCB boards that I've seen that were meant to be soldered directly tended to have cutouts for the bumps and such (the Teensy 4.0 is one that I remember having these protrusions).

I tend to think that it is easier to just provide a set of holes, where you solder male headers to the holes. Push the plastic separator down as far as possible so the bits on the Teensy that hang down have enough space (this would mean soldering the pins on the underneath of your PCB so you are not adding extra height, and trimming off the extra). Alternatively, solder the header on the top, and then have the Teensy sit on top of that solder and don't use a spacer. Then solder the Teensy to that header, and use diagonal clippers to cut off the excess male header.

Last edited:
Be sure to check underneath the Teensy, as several of the Teensies have protrusions on the bottom. Some of the PCB boards that I've seen that were meant to be soldered directly tended to have cutouts for the bumps and such (the Teensy 4.0 is one that I remember having these protrusions).
How do you suggest I do this? I could run a flat edge (like a ruler) to feel the protrusions. Will that work?

I tend to think that it is easier to just provide a set of holes, where you solder male headers to the holes. Push the plastic separator down as far as possible so the bits on the Teensy that hang down have enough space (this would mean soldering the pins on the underneath of your PCB so you are not adding extra height, and trimming off the extra). Alternatively, solder the header on the top, and then have the Teensy sit on top of that solder and don't use a spacer. Then solder the Teensy to that header, and use diagonal clippers to cut off the excess male header.
I'm trying to get access to the pads underneath. On some 3.2's I soldered an elbow header but that's not 100% reliable.

if a the plastic of the header is too much height, know that after the header is solderd on, you should be able to slide that plastic piece off the header,
with use of a little screwdriver or a knife. this way you can either solder it flush to the circuit board, or even leave a tiny gap if needed.

Or do you mean you need to surface mount it, whitout any solder on the bottom of your circuit board ?

The t4.x's have components on the underside of the boards. You MUST leave a gap for these components or have your PCB routed to allow for these components.

Back