Thoughts on crude NV-DDR3 interfacing

dukeblue219

This is going to sound crazy to anyone who knows enough to answer, but has anyone attempted to essentially bit-bang an NV-DDR3 interface or similar on a modern NAND device at the lowest speed modes?

For background I have experience doing this with Teeny 3.x and 4.0 to older asynchronous flash components, even to multi-Tb devices, including bus translators in between to bring 3.3v down to 1.8. No problems with that style interface. I am well-aware that an FPGA or custom controller is the normal solution here for a product. However, this is a somewhat unique testing architecture and there is some value to me in rapidly re-using existing IP while taking advantage of the ~disposable price tag of a T4.1.

I think it should be doable down in the ~33 MHz Mode 0 regime, using all the usual Teensy fast IO tricks and the continuous 8 bit GPIO available on the T4.1, but the timing is not going to be perfect like it might be on a dedicated FPGA. Has anyone actually tried? Any underlying hardware support for reading strobed DDR-like signals?

For anyone who stumbles across this thread, yes, it can be done. Not the right tool for the job necessarily, but it worked with the timing tweaked just right with nops.

Back