Looking for a good kiosk broswer-device

Fertje

I'm using a raspberry PI 4 with kiosk browser to show my Teensy 4.1 websocket generated content, but it's always getting quite hot and I have a noisy cpu fan to keep it running.
Although I'm happy with the result, does anyone of you know if there are small silent alternatives (with hdmi to connect it to a large screen) that can show a modern browser without the fear of it burning down?
It has to start up with a bootlogo only, directly into the browser. No user-input is required.

What about a Pi 3? It's a bit weaker in perfomance but much cooler. Other option is Odroids SBCs. If you have a Pi 4 already a bigger cooler could also make it run passive. There are passive enclosures too that act as large heatsinks.

The pi3b also works, I just hoped for an alternative solution.

I bought this one too recently. You have to put a pi in the back and its really beautiful, but the fan is so noisy, and without the fan it's getting too hot, also with a pi3.
In the end it seems just easier to make an app for a tablet.

I use a temperature controlled fan on my RPI4. Instead of an expensive pwm controlled fan, I use a standard small 5V fan which is turned on an off by a transistor. To protect the transistor, I use a diode. The RPI4 core temperature is regulated to 65C. It is a lot quieter than running a fan from 5V! Here is the gist repo that I started from. https://gist.github.com/alwynallan/1c13096c4cd675f38405702e89e0c536 This uses very little of the RPI4 resources. I now use a variation of this code on all my RPI4's. To make this software work with a small fan, I had to reduce the PWM rate to a low frequency, if I recall somewhere around 100 Hz, rather than the default. At idle, or low compute load, the fan is off. The fan speed increases in proportion to the core temperature. It works well, bringing the temperature down within a 5-10 seconds. A lot quieter than a bang-bang controller. The pwm service is started at boot via systemd.

Back