Struggling to find a good display for teensy 3.x or 4.x

Hersoft

Hello All,

Most of the time am in "reading/Learning mode on this Forum, but now I need some directions/help.

I have a small project I'm working on since 2015 and I keep improving on it eversince.

It is a small GPS locator/GPS info that I can use on a vehicle, be it a bike or a car that doesn't matter.

It is a selfcontaining device powered by a single Lion cell through an https://www.adafruit.com/product/1400
in combination with an https://www.adafruit.com/product/2124

The first version, and still in active duty, uses and 0.96" Oled with 128*64 dots , https://www.adafruit.com/product/326

This works kind of oke, but now after such a long time the display is slowly fading.

So the search for a new display is ongoing for already some years but I can not find a suitable display working day and night.

I have tried a 2.9" waveshare B/W E-paper and yes, this works in direct sunlight very well using partial refresh, but at night not at all.

I have tried several 1.5" O-Leds, RGB and Monochrome but all seem to not have so much brightness to be visible in Sunlight.

The 0.96" is still the one with the most brightness, but I would like to show more info so I need a display with more dots

TFT's are not really my cup of thee, not having much experience with them.

So my big question here is, what kind of Display would you suggest :

project demands: not too big, say max 4", resolution at least 128*128 but preferable a bit more, readable day and night and not using a big amount of power.

Any tips would be greatly apreciated.

Regards, Otto (living in Belgium)

Attachments

• 20220720_115847.jpg
    20220720_115847.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 43
@Skypickle,

I tried these tft's some time ago and found that the brightness was not enough to my taste.

thanks for the info though.

@KurtE,

The Oled is the one I'm using right now. Not a lot visible in sunlight.

These Winstar tft's seems to be interesting. This Brightness spec looks promising The adafruit is @240 and the Winstar @1000cd/m2

Now to see if and where I can buy these in Europe.

Thanks KurtE, much apreciated.

These Winstar tft's seems to be interesting. This Brightness spec looks promising
Be aware that the current consumption as specified for this ILI9341-based Winstar panel [8.25mA max] does not include the current consumption [and required voltage] of the backlight... usually that is specified separately.

Paul

eInk

Before adding an eInk display to your project, think about the intended refresh rate and number of lifetime refresh cycles. I designed an AdaFruit red/black eInk display into one of my projects, and I regret it. Over the course of a few thousand refresh cycles, black text became unusably gray.

EInk may be well-suited for some slow-changing display applications, but it is not a good fit for apps with a display that is changing every few minutes (or more often) for most (or all) of every day.

Hello All who responded to me, many thanks for the info!

@PaulS, Yes I also saw this very low consumption in the datasheet, good point.

@KurtE, interesting, lots of light, almost too bright but possible PWM I guess.
I did send an email to Winstar about this super bright tft but no reply yet.

@Fenichel, Yes I did see that also happen on my 2.9"waveshare and thought it was because I let the info on it too long with only partial refresh.

@TFTLCDCyg, I could not find how bright (nits) this screen is.

Regards, Otto

Back