Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: VS1053 Adafruit library 'player_simple' example doesn't compile for Teensy 4.1

VS1053 Adafruit library 'player_simple' example doesn't compile for Teensy 4.1

I'm trying to use the Adafruit_VS1053 library which is included with Teensyduino 1.56 on a Teensy 4.1. Unfortunately, the player_simple example does not compile, returning these errors:

Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Adafruit_VS1053\Adafruit_VS1053.cpp: In member function 'void Adafruit_VS1053_FilePlayer::feedBuffer()':
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Adafruit_VS1053\Adafruit_VS1053.cpp:218:14: error: 'SREG' was not declared in this scope
       sregsave = SREG;
                  ^
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Adafruit_VS1053\Adafruit_VS1053.cpp: In constructor 'Adafruit_VS1053::Adafruit_VS1053(int8_t, int8_t, int8_t, int8_t, int8_t, int8_t, int8_t)':
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Adafruit_VS1053\Adafruit_VS1053.cpp:280:14: error: cannot convert 'volatile uint32_t* {aka volatile long unsigned int*}' to 'volatile uint8_t* {aka volatile unsigned char*}' in assignment
       clkportreg = portOutputRegister(digitalPinToPort(_clk));
                  ^
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Adafruit_VS1053\Adafruit_VS1053.cpp:282:15: error: cannot convert 'volatile uint32_t* {aka volatile long unsigned int*}' to 'volatile uint8_t* {aka volatile unsigned char*}' in assignment
       misoportreg = portInputRegister(digitalPinToPort(_miso));
                   ^
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Adafruit_VS1053\Adafruit_VS1053.cpp:284:15: error: cannot convert 'volatile uint32_t* {aka volatile long unsigned int*}' to 'volatile uint8_t* {aka volatile unsigned char*}' in assignment
       mosiportreg = portOutputRegister(digitalPinToPort(_mosi));
                   ^
    The SREG error disappears if I use the latest version of the library from Adafruit (downloaded using the Arduino Library Manager). However, the conversion issues remain.

The errors disappear if I change the board to a Teensy 3.6, so I'm guessing this is a AVR vs ARM issue - beyond that it's well above my head unfortunately!

Has anyone tried to port this to a T4.1?

Otherwise, can anyone recommend another library to use for the VS1053?
    (I'm not using the Adafruit breakout board since we already have an SD reader on the T4.1)

Only can answer the SREG issue. I ran into that on another project and it is not supported on the T4.x's. You might want to check this thread
    https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/66728...highlight=sreg

As for what other library you can use can't help you on that one.

You are correct, I'm now attempting to use this library which asks you to comment out any references to SREG if using a T4.1.

The example in this new library does compile but I'm yet to get any audio out of the headphone jack - will post this in a separate topic though.

Quick followup on this duplicate thread, a solution for using VS1053 with Teensy 4.x can be found here:

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/70944...l=1#post311602