Teensy LC: Bug in documentation

mkoch

On this page
https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensylc.html
is written:
"The AREF pin is used to set the analog input range. By default, AREF is 3.3V due to a resistor. External shunt-type reference chips may be connected for lower reference voltage."

This is wrong. There is no resistor connected to the AREF pin, neither on the board nor on the chip. A shunt reference won't work without an external resistor.

Michael

On this page
https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensylc.html
is written:
"The AREF pin is used to set the analog input range. By default, AREF is 3.3V due to a resistor. External shunt-type reference chips may be connected for lower reference voltage."

This is wrong. There is no resistor connected to the AREF pin, neither on the board nor on the chip. A shunt reference won't work without an external resistor.

Michael

According to the MKL26Z64 datasheet, in Paragraph 3.6.11, Note 3, Table 25 states: "For packages without dedicated VREFH and VREFL pins, VREFH is internally tied to VDDA, and VREFL is internally tied to VSSA." which seems to imply that AREF will be at 3.3VDC as stated. Likewise, Paragraph 3.6.11, Note 4, Table 25 states (in reference to Ras, the Analog source resistance (external)): "This resistance is external to MCU. To achieve the best results, the analog source resistance must be kept as low as possible." and the associated diagram shows Ras as an external resistor (5kohm or less) used with the shunt reference. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I don't see anything indicating that an external shunt reference can/should be used without an external resistor.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

The sentence in the documentation says that the AREF pin (not the internal reference voltage) is 3.3V by default. That's clearly wrong. Without an external resistor, the AREF pin is 0V by default.

Opps, indeed this info was wrong. It was copied from other Teensy 3.x models, but indeed Teensy LC is somewhat different.

I've updated the Teensy LC page to say "By default Teensy LC uses 3.3V power an its analog reference. An external reference voltage between 1.13V to 3.3V may be applied to AREF and used by analogReference(EXTERNAL)."

Back