Teensy 4.0 operating temperature range

I have a Teensy 4.0 in a tight space that gets up around 145 F and the Teensy stops operating after about 90 minutes. I don't think it is the program because the testing rig board does not crash even after days. Could it be the heat? What is the operating regime for Teensy 4.0?

There is a: Serial.printf( "\tdeg C=%u\n" , (uint32_t)tempmonGetTemp() );

That will report the temp measured in the processor, if USB Serial montior is available.

145F is 63C and that is where (at or above) it usually is too hot - at least when artificially heating it with over clocking. There is a thread with some analysis and docs on the Processor spec and lifetime based on heat ... it is now some time back.

If there is a USB connection on the Teensy for Serial monitor having this in setup() may give some feedback.
Code:
  while (!Serial && millis() < 10000 );
  Serial.println("\n" __FILE__ " " __DATE__ " " __TIME__);
  if ( CrashReport )
    Serial.print(CrashReport);

If Speed isn't critical on the Tools menu select a lower speed 528 MHz or even 396 MHz and rebuild. The Teensy will generate less heat. But if the heat builds and it still reaches that high temp only cooling will help.

The effect of Junction Temperature on expected Product Lifetime is nicely documented here:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/nxp/application-notes/AN12253.pdf

Keep in mind if you look at the chart they are talking about POWER ON HOURS. In one of my heavy use applications I have the Teensy 4.1 running with a junction temperature of 75 degrees C. It is running at 600 MHz in a closed container. If you look on the chart referenced in the application note, the expected life of the Teensy 4.1 is about 77000 power on hours. That is almost 9 years of continuous on time!

These devices are pretty robust.

Thanks @defragster for the previous post link.

As I read the post, it leaves one with the impression that running at 600 MHz limits the Power On Hours to about 3 years. That is only the case if you are have a junction temperature of 95 degrees C and have it on continuously for the 3 years. Again, looking at the curves closely, the situation improves dramatically as you approach a more typical junction temperature of say 75 - 80 degrees C. It approaches 9-10 years of continuous Power On Hours.

My personal takeaway is that you need not shy away from operating at 600 MHz in most applications. Of course as stated in the post, using tempmonGetTemp() to find your actual junction temperature is wise advice.

Back