Encoder library on Teensy LC: lotsa noise?

blakeAlbion

Hi!
I’m testing the encoder library using pins 23 and 21 on my Teensy LC. It responds but most of the time it interprets clockwise and counterclockwise rotation as a positive increment. As I read in a thread here, I added pull-up resistors but I see no improvement. These are really cheap encoders. I’m going to try another brand tomorrow.
But is there anything else I can try? Using the basic encoder example sketch with the pin numbers changed.

Thanks,
Ben

Oh yes one more thing: I tried a polling (not interrupt-driven library) and that works as designed.
"Versatile_RotaryEncoder"

Last edited:
Thanks! At the risk of going off topic, I will need to support 4 encoders and their push switches. Does anyone have a clever scheme to conserve Teensy pins? I’m using an analog multiplexer for my non-encoder knobs.

Okay, it was the hardware. Testing now with a different make of encoder and Paul's library (interrupt-driven) works great.

I have worked all the way through a project and the last major issue is with the EncorderTool library.
I am using the software multiplex.
What happens is, during use the encoders stop responding. The switch callbacks continue to work, but knob position updates are ignored.
After a while, the encoders will resume and I can use them.

I will take another look at the code, and if possible I will post some or all of the sketch.
This project uses a Teensy LC to monitor encoders and switches, and sends state changes to a Teeny 4.0 which is a sound generator.
... so I will send over the LC sketch, where I see in my serial monitor the encoders become unresponsive.

Sorry, I have not had time to do this yet. I did spend time checking the signal paths and cleaning the build. Much improvement.

Back