Any tips for teensy 4.0 availability?

trilok

I'm trying to build some more phobgcc controllers which uses the teensy 4.0 (others won't work, or like 3.2 are very out of stock)

Any sites to look out for in the coming months? I've backordered on digikey.

They are very hard to find and sell out instantly.

Theres like 1000 below, but are being sold for 50$ a piece, which is very mean.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832610333689.html

I'm trying to build some more phobgcc controllers which uses the teensy 4.0 (others won't work, or like 3.2 are very out of stock)

Any sites to look out for in the coming months? I've backordered on digikey.

They are very hard to find and sell out instantly.

Theres like 1000 below, but are being sold for 50$ a piece, which is very mean.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832610333689.html

I ordered one off Amazon and it arrived yesterday.

I ordered one off Amazon and it arrived yesterday.

From the experiences of those from the phobgcc project, a LOT of amazon teensies came dead, which didn't happen with other distributors.

Someone even receiving 5/6 dead teensy 4.0s.

Maybe a few sellers there are more reputable, but I'm wary in general.

From the experiences of those from the phobgcc project, a LOT of amazon teensies came dead, which didn't happen with other distributors.

Someone even receiving 5/6 dead teensy 4.0s.

Maybe a few sellers there are more reputable, but I'm wary in general.

Understood. This one was advertised as coming from pjrc but I haven't tested it yet. Thanks for the information.

I've seen more trickle in, but it seems like even official distributors are selling it much higher than "normal" price.

I've seen more trickle in, but it seems like even official distributors are selling it much higher than "normal" price.

Indeed, even with no stock, the price in some ditributors was more that 30€, searching throughout the month of august last week I've found one distributor with recent stock at 22.73 and think I bought almost all the stock, now they are out of stock again, after 5 years working with 3.2 and been forced to adapt the code to migrate from 3.2 to 4.0 and I can't afford to run out of stock.

PJRC has another batch of Teensy 4.0 in production now, but nearly all of them are promised to distributors so we're not expecting any will be sold directly from the PJRC website.

If production remains on schedule, we will probably ship them to distributors over a period of 2-3 weeks starting around September 7. The bulk of this batch is likely to ship to distributors in the week of Sept 12-16, or possibly Sept 19-23 if production slips by 1 week. Lately it seems random 1 week delays are the norm across the entire supply chain, probably because people are out sick for several days. But I'm still optimistic we'll get many shipped Sept 12-19 and some the week before.

Robin and I are taking notice of which distributors are inflating their prices in times of shortages. But we don't regularly monitor their websites. Feel free to name & shame price gouging here with screenshots. We really do hate to see price gouging and we are watching....

For distributors outside the US, please understand their prices often absorb fast-but-expensive international shipping, tariffs & import fees, vat or tax, currency exchange rates and other costs. Somewhat higher prices are the norm.

~96% markup from US-based Tinkersphere: https://tinkersphere.com/teensy-boards/3079-teensy-40.html, https://tinkersphere.com/teensy-boards/3952-teensy-40-with-header-pins.html

Screenshot 2022-09-07 224807.png

Quick update. Indeed Teensy 4.0 schedule slipped 1 week. But the delay wasn't just idle time. Enough Teensy 4.1 without Ethernet were built that we were able to ship a substantial number of those to distributors and remove the quantity limit on the PJRC page. Teensy 4.0 will start coming out of production next week.

We're going to start shipping Teensy 4.0 to distributors on Sept 14.

Originally the plan was to dedicate 100% of production capacity to Teensy 4.0 for a couple weeks. But Teensy 4.1 with Ethernet has nearly run out. So we'll be making about 70% Teensy 4.0 next week and 30% Teensy 4.1 with Ethernet, and probably a similar ratio for the rest of September. October production should be a mix of Teensy LC and Teensy 4.1 with Ethernet.

Again, we can't get enough NXP chips to fully meed all Teensy 4.0 demand, so none of this incoming batch are expected to be sold on the PJRC website. They'll be sold by distributors only.

I can't comment much on the price gouging, other than Robin & I really do not like it. Please document cases here with screenshots. We are watching.

Quick update. Indeed Teensy 4.0 schedule slipped 1 week. But the delay wasn't just idle time. Enough Teensy 4.1 without Ethernet were built that we were able to ship a substantial number of those to distributors and remove the quantity limit on the PJRC page. Teensy 4.0 will start coming out of production next week.

We're going to start shipping Teensy 4.0 to distributors on Sept 14.

Originally the plan was to dedicate 100% of production capacity to Teensy 4.0 for a couple weeks. But Teensy 4.1 with Ethernet has nearly run out. So we'll be making about 70% Teensy 4.0 next week and 30% Teensy 4.1 with Ethernet, and probably a similar ratio for the rest of September. October production should be a mix of Teensy LC and Teensy 4.1 with Ethernet.

Again, we can't get enough NXP chips to fully meed all Teensy 4.0 demand, so none of this incoming batch are expected to be sold on the PJRC website. They'll be sold by distributors only.

I can't comment much on the price gouging, other than Robin & I really do not like it. Please document cases here with screenshots. We are watching.

Hello Paul, thank you for the update.
I suppose then TEENSY40 will not be available easily from distributors in the next future.
Do you think I can buy some tens of TEENSY41_NE directly from your website?
In case, do you know which distributor have enough stock?

Your best option for Teensy 4.0 is placing backorders with distributors. I don't have info about the number of backorders they already have pending.

One strategy to try would be redundant backorders at Sparkfun and Digikey on the ones they get from Sparkfun. If Sparkfun ships your order when they get a fresh delivery of Teensy 4.0, then you can just quickly cancel at Digikey. But if they already have a too-large backorder for Digikey ahead of your order and all get sent to Digikey, hopefully that incoming stock will be enough for all the backorders Digikey already has and they'll ship some to you (and cancel at Sparkfun before we send them more stock). Yeah, guessing backorders is a tiresome guessing game, but in these times of supply chain shortages where there simply isn't enough stock to meet all demand, the way you get it is to proactively place backorders. Odds are strong that all incoming stock will be used to fulfill backorders, so waiting for the website to actually say it's in stock is pretty much the worst possible strategy!

Yes, the good news (at least right now) is you can buy TEENSY41_NE today at the PJRC Teensy 4.1 page. At least this week, we have a good number available. I imagine they'll probably run out in a matter of weeks. Hopefully by then we'll have plenty of Teensy 4.1 with Ethernet.

Nothing much to add here. I’ve redesigned my boards several times because of availability issues and the dreaded creeping feature creature: Adafruit changed their LIDAR footprint, y’all changed to a 3.3V only Teensy 4.0 that was too powerful to ignore, I found an easier-to-program IMU, etc.etc.etc., then there’s the inevitable reality of price point placement and cost of goods details.

I won’t have a return on my massive investment of time and money without Teensy 4.0’s. My bad for leaning on others, but you’ve done good. I hope & pray that you and NXP sort out your issues soon and we can have a long mutually beneficial relationship.

I was able to get my 4.0s from an earlier wave through backordering on Digikey, which is also what I recommended to people.

Thanks for all the tips Paul, and thank you for noting all the price gougers. They are lame.

Aside from Digikey/sparkfun, it seems like almost all distributors increased their prices from what people have posted in the discord related to our project.

OK. It's good that we can backorder, but those lockable T4 were a dream come through :)
IS it that the T41 chip is more available than the T4? IF so can we have a T4.3 using the form factor of the 4?

OK. It's good that we can backorder, but those lockable T4 were a dream come through :)
IS it that the T41 chip is more available than the T4? IF so can we have a T4.3 using the form factor of the 4?

The T_4.1 uses a larger chip - which worked on the larger PCB and was needed to get out the needed extra pins.

That larger chip on the T_4.0 PCB might fit with smaller silkscreen between the pin sides, but the added growth end to end would push components not only on the top but change the bottom side layout under the chip as well where it butts up against the bottom pads.

It might be workable with effort, perhaps likely not given the tight space already. The two chips seem to appear in turn in quantities to build with - but never enough to build too many. And supplies of other components are also limited and short ...

The T_4.1 uses a larger chip - which worked on the larger PCB and was needed to get out the needed extra pins.

That larger chip on the T_4.0 PCB might fit with smaller silkscreen between the pin sides, but the added growth end to end would push components not only on the top but change the bottom side layout under the chip as well where it butts up against the bottom pads.

It might be workable with effort, perhaps likely not given the tight space already. The two chips seem to appear in turn in quantities to build with - but never enough to build too many. And supplies of other components are also limited and short ...

OK. I was considering a diff board completely with the small 4.0 footprint. But as explained I understand.
still searching for lockables @paulstoffregen

Just yesterday we got word from NXP that a large batch of chips will come by late-November. Assuming they actually deliver (usually they've been +/- a couple weeks when they give these sorts of estimates) we should have plenty of Teensy 4.0 in December.

Do you mean this site will have teensies, or distributors in general?
Is there backordering on this site?

Yes, yes, and sort-of.

A huge backlog has built up over the last 4 months of inadequate chip supply. It's going to take time (maybe several weeks) to fully catch up, but ultimately (assuming NXP keeps supplying enough chips) Teensy 4.0 will get to back in stock at distributors and directly from PJRC.

During some of that catching-up time, PJRC will probably have a limit per person. Like when we recently got Teensy 4.1 back in stock, the limit will probably be only a few per person for the first week or two, then increase to 25 for a while, and then no limits once we've cleared the backlog.

Teensy 4.0 with pins soldered will also come back, but will lag by a few weeks, because the pins soldering is a slow manual process which can't even begin until they're made without pins.

If you need 100 or more, we can take a placeholder order. Email me directly.

Back