Any tips for teensy 4.0 availability?

I'll suggest you ,look for Teensy 4.0 from distributors

Some distributors (like Digikey) will allow pre-orders, some (like Adafruit) don't allow from pre-orders, but can send you e-mail when they get stock.

Note, Digikey doesn't order directly from PJRC, instead they order from both Sparkfun and Adafruit, so they do depend on those two getting stock before they can sell them. At the moment, Teensy 4.0 is not available from Digikey from either Sparkfun or Adafruit.

I can confirm a large number of Teensy 4.0 will be made in December. We just heard an update from NXP that the chips are inbound, and we've queued everything else up so the production can begin when they arrive. I know December feels like forever, today being at the end of October. If everything goes *really* well, there's a chance some might come in the final days of November, but usually the US Thanksgiving holiday throws a money wrench into the production process, so at least this far out I'm reluctant to promise anything at the end of November. The schedule will become clearer in a few weeks.

Generally speaking, PJRC starts pre-orders only a matter of days before we are certain production will complete. Or the first portion. We're doing that now for Teensy 3.5, which is a small all-at-once build coming in just a couple days. For a large build like Teensy 4.0, they don't all finish at once. Some roll out of product each week. Especially when we have other boards in the production queue, they tend to get interleaved. The upcoming Teensy 4.0 batch is large enough that it will probably take every week of December to complete.

There's a couple reasons we allow pre-orders only shortly before well confirmed ship dates. The main factor is limitations with credit card processing. Like most small companies, we use a credit card processing service which never shows us your card number. When you place the order, your browser sends the card number directly to the service (today, that's Intuit, though we're planning to switch to another service someday) and the card processor gives your browser a transaction number. We get only that transaction number and the info needed to ship your order. The service reserves funds from your card at that time. But the charge is made when we ship. The service only allows the transaction number to be used once. But the most important part is the transaction automatically expires, usually after 1 week. For card security, this is great news. The only info which gets stored on PJRC computers is used or expired transaction numbers, so even if a thief were to steal every last byte of PJRC's data, they can't possibly get anything which lets them steal your credit card. But it also means we can't delay charging your card. We almost never charge a card until the order gets into the shipping queue, which usually means it will ship that day. The other factor is a lot of pre-orders really makes everything more complicated for us, at the worst possible time when we need to focus on getting as many Teensy boards tested and packaged. PJRC is only a small company, just a 4 people including me and Robin, plus a couple local contact manufacturers who do all the soldering. Many of the limits we have are because we just don't have a lot of people, and the pre-order limit only days before shipping is definitely one of those limits.

Larger pre-orders higher than the credit card charge max aren't as much an issue. If you know you'll need 100 or more, and you really want to pre-order to get early in the queue, just email me directly. Such pre-orders are really just a place holder. Robin will contact you only days before we are sure the products can ship, to arrange payment (usually bank transfer for large orders).

For a small order, just keep an eye on the Teensy 4.0 page. I'll post new updates as events unfold, with more specific info as we become more certain of exactly when they'll complete production. When you see the updates promising a specific ship date, mark your calendar to check the page about 4-5 days earlier, as that's when we'll start pre-orders.

As we're doing now with Teensy 3.5, the first couple weeks will probably have a limit like 10 per person. If you're doing low volume production and you *really* need more than 10, just email me with details (but please, when the website is taking pre-orders). The initial quantity limit is only to limit ebay scalpers, not to hurt people who really are using Teensy. If you can mention your prior orders and give me even a little info about your product, we'll relax the limit for your order. By mid-December we should have plenty and distributors should be getting them back into stock, so the quantity limit is just a short term thing.

Beyond December, we're expecting a large number of chips for Teensy 4.1 in early January, even even more chips for Teensy 4.0 later in January. Predicting the future is always difficult, but my hope is NXP will keep providing chips at these levels and these painful shortages of 2022 will be a thing of the past for 2023.

Quick Teensy 4.0 update, chips finally arrived from NXP are went into production last week. Some will be completed on an expedited schedule, probably starting to ship by November 22. Most will be completed in the 2 weeks before Christmas.

Another large batch of chips is also inbound. Those Teensy 4.0 will ship throughout January 2023.

NXP promised a 3rd batch of chips, but we don't have them yet or even a confirmation they're in transit. But I'm optimistic they will come and we'll be shipping Teensy 4.0 with those chips in February.

On Teensy 3.5, yes, distributors should start to get them later this week. If you need Teensy 3.5, I highly recommend getting them soon. We will run out, probably within a matter of weeks. We don't know when NXP will send more chips. It could be middle of 2023, but it could get pushed out to 2024. Supply of chips for Teensy 3.2, 3.5, 3.6 is going to be limited throughout 2023. We're expecting infrequent and small batches of these chips to arrive throughout 2023, so we're likely to keep seeing a situation where we get 1 of those 3 Teensy models in stock for only a short time. Everything we've heard so far is looking like the supply of the older Kinetis chips for Teensy 3.x will remain severely limited until at least 2024.

We're now accepting Teensy 4.0 pre-orders for up to 20 pieces.

Production was confirmed on schedule last Friday, so we're confident we can start shipping Teensy 4.0 in limited quantity by Nov 22. We'll have a limited number before December due to the US Thanksgiving holiday. Plenty more should come as production gets back to normal after the holiday.

This is Teensy 4.0. Even though both 4.0 & 4.1 use the same processor, the chip is in a physically smaller package on Teensy 4.0.

We're still waiting on more chips of the physically larger chip from NXP for the next Teensy 4.1 production. They're supposed to arrive early January.

Usually we start accepting pre-orders about 1 week before we're confident we'll be able to actually ship.

Teensy 4.0 offers support for dynamic clock scaling to aid in power reduction. Contrary to conventional microcontrollers, where altering the clock speed results in incorrect

Teensy 4.0 is shipping again. Many went out today, and we even managed to ship some over the weekend.

Most of them are still in production. We'll get more each week out of production and into testing & shipping. Because this week has the US holiday Thanksgiving, next week (Nov 28 - Dec 2) will be the first full week of production. So we'll probably not have larger quantity available until the following week starting December 5th.

We also got some good news that chips for Teensy 4.1 which were expected in early January may come a few weeks early. Production takes time and the Christmas and New Year holidays slow everything down, so it's unclear when we'll have larger quantity of Teensy 4.1 available. Could end up the week before Christmas, or could slip into early January. But NXP confirmed the chips are inbound.

The short answer is no, we really don't know when we'll be able to get Teensy 3.2 back in stock.

We ordered a large number of Kinetis chips in 2021. Latest info shows NXP will deliver about 15% of them in 2023. Whether the remaining 85% come in 2024 or even later is unknown. But even the first 15% coming in 2023 is far from certain. We've heard other delivery dates that came and went. In late 2021 and even January 2022, the word was "gradual improvement in Q2" with most coming in Q3 & Q4. Obviously that didn't happen. So I'm pretty skeptical of any delivery dates on the Kinetis chips.

One thing does seem pretty certain. If we get any chips at all, it's going to be only a small fraction of the number we ordered. The best case scenario is looking like very limited quantity which will probably sell out quickly.

Back