Handset ear speaker is not working with Audio shield.

cataylor

I have complete the hardware as shown on the video using a Teensy 4.0 and Rev D of the Audio shield. Everything works except the handset speaker. I had done some trouble shooting and found that if I hook the jack up to my PC Speakers the handset speaker works. I am connecting the handset as shown in the video using a jack connection. I can record a greeting but I am not sure it plays. I record a message using the handset and when I move it to the PC and translate it to a wave file it is good. Not sure what the issue is. I am going to try backup hardware I created to see if that works. Anyway some suggestion would be great. I have search the site and did not find any threads that discussed this type of issue.

Best,

Everything works except the handset speaker. I had done some trouble shooting and found that if I hook the jack up to my PC Speakers the handset speaker works. I am connecting the handset as shown in the video using a jack connection.

I apologize if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this as I'm new to Teensy and Arduino controllers and just now learning about them myself. Is your handset speaker the type that has 4 contacts on the jack, 2 for left/right sound, 1 for built in mic, and the 4th contact for ground/common? If that's correct isn't the socket on the audio shield made for a 3 contact jack? The only other option I can think of is that the audio level is too low and the computer speakers are acting as an amplifier for the handset.

Edit: Disregard. I just started watching the Youtube video on the Wedding Guestbook build. Sorry about that. Output level being too low is all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:
I apologize if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this as I'm new to Teensy and Arduino controllers and just now learning about them myself. Is your handset speaker the type that has 4 contacts on the jack, 2 for left/right sound, 1 for built in mic, and the 4th contact for ground/common? If that's correct isn't the socket on the audio shield made for a 3 contact jack? The only other option I can think of is that the audio level is too low and the computer speakers are acting as an amplifier for the handset.

Edit: Disregard. I just started watching the Youtube video on the Wedding Guestbook build. Sorry about that. Output level being too low is all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks for the reply. I did increase the volume and found that I could just hear the speaker, but it was very low and I could not really make out what was said. I am going to try another hand set speaker and if that does the same thing then the original ITT phones had to have an amplifier built into the phone itself. I might try replacing the speaker with one from a head set if I can find one small enough to fit into the handset.

Audio shield playback is fast and choppy

I have worked through the project and most of it is working fine with the exception that when I play back a recorded message it seems to be two fast and choppy. If I playback the greeting it sounds fine. Not sure what is going on with the recording, but at one time before I got the common problems ironed out that most newbies reference it did seem that the mic recordings on the teensy were working. Now with everything else working this has cropped up. I am posting the code since I have replaced all hardware except the mic and still have the same problem. I am not an audio engineer so I am not too sure where to go from here. I have a some cheep mics coming since that is the last piece of hardware.View attachment audio-guestbook.zip

Any help would be welcomed.

Back