Teensey Audio Looper Hardware

arturmic

Hello Forum members,

I am planing to build a little teensey based hardware looper and try to figure out the needed parts to get for that.
So far I am planing to use this:

Teensey 4.1 development board
Teensey Rev D audio shield

After watching some tutorials I know I can use the built in audio jack on the shield straight as audio output.
For audio input I can use the dedicated OUT1A pins as far as I understand. My question now is can I just solder
an audio jack connector to those pins? And would this be all I need to record and playback audio with the shield?

Hello Forum members,

I am planing to build a little teensey based hardware looper and try to figure out the needed parts to get for that.
So far I am planing to use this:

Teensey 4.1 development board
Teensey Rev D audio shield

After watching some tutorials I know I can use the built in audio jack on the shield straight as audio output.
For audio input I can use the dedicated OUT1A pins as far as I understand. My question now is can I just solder
an audio jack connector to those pins? And would this be all I need to record and playback audio with the shield?

it will matter if you intend to connect line level sources (like a keyboard or synth) to the looper or a guitar. For the line-level stuff, you can use the line-in on the Teen Audio Shield, it's very good for this. No need to keep reading.

For guitar, that won't work, it gets much more complicated with guitar. You have to have a build yourself high-impedance pre-amp with quite a bit of gain to work with passive pickups, but you also may need to have attenuation if you go through a 9V pedal before going into the Teensy Audio Board, and it would be wise to have build some voltage protection (you can fry the audio board if the incoming audio gets over 3.3V which it can easily with active pickups or other guitar pedals, others have damaged their PJRC Audio board with this).

I designed the TGA Pro audio board for Teensy specifically to deal with these issues. The schematic is freely available in the product documentation if you want to design/build your own circuits.
https://www.tindie.com/products/blackaddr/arduino-teensy-guitar-audio-shield

it will matter if you intend to connect line level sources (like a keyboard or synth) to the looper or a guitar. For the line-level stuff, you can use the line-in on the Teen Audio Shield, it's very good for this. No need to keep reading.

For guitar, that won't work, it gets much more complicated with guitar. You have to have a build yourself high-impedance pre-amp with quite a bit of gain to work with passive pickups, but you also may need to have attenuation if you go through a 9V pedal before going into the Teensy Audio Board, and it would be wise to have build some voltage protection (you can fry the audio board if the incoming audio gets over 3.3V which it can easily with active pickups or other guitar pedals, others have damaged their PJRC Audio board with this).

I designed the TGA Pro audio board for Teensy specifically to deal with these issues. The schematic is freely available in the product documentation if you want to design/build your own circuits.
https://www.tindie.com/products/blackaddr/arduino-teensy-guitar-audio-shield

Thank you a lot for the explanation. Yeah I will only deal with line level signals as the looper is supposed to work as an send return effect for vinyl dj sets. Then I know how to start :)

Back