Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Uncanny Eyes is getting expensive

Here's a quick photo of my Literary Clock with the eyes running. It shows up randomly on the clock during Halloween.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Literary_Clock_and_Skull.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	29806

Quote Originally Posted by chris.nz View Post
    Thanks for all the additional feedback and your code changes. I'll incorporate what makes sense to do so and keep working towards making things easier to use and customise.
    I'm setting up to do a branch of the tree in github, so it should be easier to send you patches for individual changes.

You'll be pleased to hear I just ordered a couple of ST7789 displays from AliExpress, as well as a single 128x128 one. When they (eventually!) arrive I'll have a go at adding support for them.
    Yes, I was going to look at least at the ST7789, since it is similar to the GC9A01A. When I glanced at it, the abstraction seemed wrong, main.cpp should not be referring at all to GC9A01A. I would think you would want an abstract display base class with virtual functions, and a super-class for each of ST7789 or GC9A010A. Then in config.h, you use the appropriate display before calling main.cpp. In the old code, where everything was compiled together, it was easy to get things to be optimized.

Similarly as I mentioned for eye selection, you want that all done in config.h. I would envision a function returning a pointer to the next eye class. With the current code, you could just keep them in an array, but perhaps in the future, read from SD cards and do things on the fly.

On the bad news front, I've looked into the performance discrepancy I've been seeing and it seems my old code was skipping some of the updates but still counting it as having rendered the frame, so the FPS numbers I was getting were higher than reality! The actual rate is generally (depending on the eye and eyelid state) in the region of 20-25fps. I figured out a hack that speeds things up about 10% but not sure I'll check that in as it's rather nasty and I don't think it'll be compatible with the other display types. I also know that changing the code to process columns at a time (rather than rows) slowed things down about 10-15%, but that was done to make the eyelid logic simpler and use less memory, so I don't think I'll change that back. Ah well, I'd still like to improve performance but for now it's not going to be a priority.
    For me, the performance is ok. Sure the older code is faster (but then perhaps it is lying what the actual fps is), but for my use of having something in cosplay setups, even when I first did not use the frame buffer, and it was 4 fps, instead of 20 fps, it was still usable. Sure 20 fps is better...

In somewhat related news, I've put myself on the waiting list for one of these. It will be absolutely perfect for getting the eyes to track people's faces, much better than the expensive (and quite limited) IR sensor solution discussed earlier, or trying to squeeze the recognition logic into the already overloaded Teensy! I've also ordered an ESP32-CAM to try out which can be used to do something similar.
    Interesting sensor. I would have expected it to be a lot pricier for what it delivers. I put in a pre-order for a few also. Thanks.
    Last edited by MichaelMeissner; 11-26-2022 at 09:27 PM.

In somewhat related news, I've put myself on the waiting list for one of these. It will be absolutely perfect for getting the eyes to track people's faces, much better than the expensive (and quite limited) IR sensor solution discussed earlier, or trying to squeeze the recognition logic into the already overloaded Teensy! I've also ordered an ESP32-CAM to try out which can be used to do something similar.
    BTW, I just got mail from usefulsensors.com when I inquired about the availability, and I was told they just sent off a bunch of sensors. Presumably Sparcfun will be shipping out orders by the end of next week.

BTW Chris, I got mail back from Pete Warden from useful sensors (I gave him a summary of the project in email), and he has some projects using the sensor. In particular, look at