Teensyduino instruction set.

dkemppai

Hi,

New here, first post. I'm sure these are simple...

Just getting started with Teensy. Slogging my way through Arduino/teensy IDE, code functions, etc. (New to Arduino/Teensy, but have a lot of experience with programming, and embedded micros with C...) It seems there are teensy specific instruction/functions, however I've been unable to find a list of these. Any suggestions on how to locate/build a quick reference guide for teensy specific instructions?

digitalWriteFast() for example, is something I've stumbled across. However I've not been able to locate the documentation on this.

In regards to the Teensy (4.0/4.1 in my case), I've read the pin drive strength and bandwidth can be configured. Any suggestions on where to find the details on this also?

Thanks!
Dan

Hi,

Yes, I know about the reference manual. I'm actually a hardware guy and datasheets are more my style anyway. My issue is finding a list of functions/libraries for teensyduino. How do I know what's already been written specifically for the teensy? Once I know where it look then there isn't a problem. The problem is where to look right now???

For example, I look here for the standard arduino functions:
https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/

Is there a list of teensy specific instructions or libraries?

Where are the docs on digitalWriteFast() located? Is digitalWriteFast() teensy specific?

I'm pretty sure pin drive strength is Teensy 4.0/4.1 specific. Are there high level functions to control that, or does this require inline assembly/macros or similar change the settings?

Thanks!
Dan

If you have not already done so, you should probably download the Reference Manual for the underlying IMXRT chip, which you can download from
the Teensy 4 (or 4.1) product pages.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy40.html#tech

Yes, documentation can be a problem. There is the old UTSL method (Use the source Luke), but that can be hard to know where to start.

Here is a page where many of the Teensy libraries are documented:

A few years ago there was an unofficial wiki that was created:

Before that, was a quick reference thread:

The datasheets are listed in:

Most of the Arduino functions will also be supported, since Teensdunio overlays over the Arduino releases.

The schematics are listed in:

The pinout cards for the Teensies are here:

I maintain a google doc spreadsheet for my own usage where I attempt to track various things:

...can be hard to know where to start...

This is a great list of resources. Thank you!

I'm sure this will keep me busy for a while. For me the hardest part of picking up a new platform is always learning the language/workflow of that platform. I know exactly what I want to do, just need to gain the experience with the tools to actually do it.

I've been avoiding Arduino for some time, but figured this current project would be a good test of the platform. Arduino/Teensy is mature enough it should be around for a while (Anyone Remember the BS1 or BS2, or Scenix SX processors?). The power that the Teensy4.0/4.1 has is VERY attractive over the other Arduino models (or even the existing platforms that I use, other than FPGAs). The processing that you get per $, with an easy to prototype board, with good support and community is very hard to beat. The worst part is the first few steps getting into the pool! (That and getting old enough that I need to repeat an exercise a few times to remember it! lol! )

I know what I'll be doing on my rainy weekends and evenings now...

Thanks!
Dan

Back