W25Q16JVUXIM is NRND, suitable replacements?

Camthomp

Hello All!

Thank you for the support on my last query! I was looking at getting the SPI flash chip 'W25Q16JVUXIM' and on Mouser it is not recommend for new designs. I was wondering if there are any SPI flash chips that would be a good replacement or would any SPI chip work? I was looking at this SPI chip from Adafruit: LINK (this one is nice since it comes on a handy breakout board that I can tinker with).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

What is the use case? T_4.1 compatibility with 4 bit QSPI or general SPI usage? Size needed?

Is this test/proto for a big project? Would seem anything going away would have ready replacements of equal or better ... when stock comes back ...

What are you planning to do with the chip? Solder it to the audio shield? Solder it to the underside of the Teensy 4.1? Use it as a separate chip?

I can't find the chips I've previous purchased for the Teensy 4.1 before letting Protosupplies do the soldering for me.

I looked at protosupplies.com that offers Teensy 4.1's with various chips soldered to it. The 128-Mbit (or 16 Mbyte) chip that they use is the W25Q128JVSIO chip. Digikey has quite a few on hand:

The audio shield lists the W25Q128JVSIM-TR as being compatible:

Now, these have much more memory than the chip you mentioned (16 megabytes vs. 2 megabytes).

If you wanted to use the flash memory separately and not attached to either the audio adapter or Teensy 4.1, the Adafruit boards might work. Given they are winbond chips of the same family, I suspect they will work, but I don't know. Since they are in breakout boards already, you won't need to do SMT soldering.

IIRC, you won't be able to use quad SPI mode on these boards on the Teensy without soldering it to the underneath side of the Teensy 4.1, so you would need to set the 2 pins to 3.3v as they state in the documentation.

I recall from previous discussions that the GD25Q16 board that Adafruit sells is not compatible with the Teensy 4.1.

That Adafruit product will not work. It is the "Q" version of the chip. Teensy requires the "M" version.

Winbond W25Q16JVSSIM or W25Q16JVSNIM should work. Both are in stock today at Mouser.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Winbond/W25Q16JVSSIM?qs=qSfuJ%2Bfl/d7D0EXBd%2BMeAQ==

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Winbond/W25Q16JVSNIM?qs=qSfuJ%2Bfl/d6RPTIAb6Crug==

The "SN" part is physically smaller. If you're considering also using the 8 or 16 MB chips, the larger "SS" part might be a good choice since the higher capacity parts often don't come in the smaller SN package.

I recently exchanged messages with a Winbond sales rep. The very small "UX" package we use on Teensy 4.0 is now considered a special order part. Realistically, that probably means you can only buy them in full reel quantities. We're still able to buy them for Teensy (though with a rather substantial lead time) so it definitely still is available. My guess is Mouser's system probably doesn't have a way to communicate this, so the nuance gets lost in transaction is it shows up as NRND.

Anyway, the important point is the 2 letters "SS", "SN", "UX" only represent the physical package. Inside it's exactly the same silicon.

screenshot.jpg

However, this screenshot is misleading about the "M" suffix. It means so much more than just RoSH compliance. The "M" version has the DTR and QPI features. The "Q" version is a completely different datasheet, omitting those features. Teensy definitely uses those features, so you absolutely do need the "M" version.

However, you can use the "Q" version as file storage with LittleFS. It can connect to regular SPI or QPSI (FlexSPI2) on the bottom of Teensy 4.1.

The "M" version is only required if you're designing a custom PCB and want to use it as the main program memory.

I guess I just assumed you were creating a custom PCB, since you mentioned the exact part number used for main program memory on Teensy 4.0. But if you're just looking to connect another chip as a second storage device for files, the "Q" version and that Adafruit product would work fine.

You can also use LittleFS_Program to store files in the unused part of the main program flash memory. That's pretty convenient if you don't need a lot of storage. But a separate chip does have the nice advantage of not momentarily stalling your program (especially libraries using interrupts) from running while erasing and writing.

So which is best for you really depends on what you're trying to do, which I initially assumed was a custom PCB design, but looking at this again the context isn't really mentioned. Hopefully this extra explanation helps.

However, you can use the "Q" version as file storage with LittleFS. It can connect to regular SPI or QPSI (FlexSPI2) on the bottom of Teensy 4.1.

The "M" version is only required if you're designing a custom PCB and want to use it as the main program memory.

I guess I just assumed you were creating a custom PCB, since you mentioned the exact part number used for main program memory on Teensy 4.0. But if you're just looking to connect another chip as a second storage device for files, the "Q" version and that Adafruit product would work fine.

Yes, I am creating my own custom PCB and I am using the Teensy 4.0 design to make it a little easier to program, so I will be needing a memory chip for program memory. I will take a look at your suggestions, a chip for files might be useful to store calibration data for my IMU.

Thank you!

Back