SPI signals and distancing arrangement

Apa102

84095AA3-F0C4-4D7F-AF8B-34F1C0049D51.jpegE981D729-6799-4746-96EC-8F60835EC0A1.jpgI am using addressable RGB led’s, specifically the apa102’s/dotstars

I have read that long distances between devices is often unsuitable for SPI signal integrity. Although I have seen long LED strips, I am not using pixels that are attached to a strip but using bare led’s/pixels. These pixels are intended to be used with PCB’s, however I would like to attach each pixel with a cable/cord about 9 inches apart.

The apa102’s use SPI data or data and clock signals to function, which from what I’ve read is a protocol that requires work arounds to be carried across longer lengths. Often, these work arounds are between 2 devices which are very far from one another.

I would like to use 42 apa102 pixels 9 inches apart for a total of 360 inches or 30 feet from the first pixel to pixel #42.

Will simple wire about 9 inches apart connecting the data, clock and positive voltage and ground wire between each rgb led be suitable for what I am intending to do? Or will the distance corrupt the SPI signals if used in this arrangement? If wire is possible to use, is there a specialized wire to best protect signal integrity? I’ve read about ethernet cables but thats often used between only two devices.

I will also be hand soldering the ends of the wires to the backs of the pixels.

Any suggestions on making sure that the integrities of the data and clock signals are maintained are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back