"Serial + MIDI" any compatibility issues? And clarification needed...

gatheround

Hey everyone,
I have a finished project that's shipping (in small quantities) with an embedded Teensy LC. It outputs MIDI messages through USB but also through DIN MIDI.

I've been also using Serial.print to observe raw ADC values. Initially this was just for my personal debugging, but I left in in case someone might find it useful from a hacking perspective.. maybe to bring these raw values into a program like max msp or something.

I've always just been compiling as "MIDI" and the serial still shows up of course, as Paul has described it:

"While in USB MIDI, there is also a hidden HID-based emulation for "Serial". So you can use Serial.print() to send text to the Arduino Serial Monitor, while also using USB MIDI and while also using the 3 hardware serial ports!"

I don't understand how the Serial is "hidden" if arduino serial monitor can clearly see it. Does it mean that other people will not be able to discover it?

If I compile as "Serial + MIDI" instead, what would change? And would there be any compatibility issues with software that expects to see a USB MIDI connection if there is also a visible Serial data connection on the same USB connection.

Thank you!

Thanks

Back