Possible firewall issue on Windows

hemsy

It looks like my Windows 10 computer (corporate managed) just got a new system update, and is producing the following error message when I try to compile a program:

Code:
Unable find Teensy Loader.  (p)  Is the Teensy Loader application running?
Is a firewall (eg, ZoneAlarm) blocking localhost communication?
quitexit status 1

I'm running Arduino 1.8.13, and Teensyduino 1.53, target is Teensy 4.0 board. It even hangs up on an empty program:

Code:
void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

Did you try re-installing TeensyDuino after the update (& while you're at it, you might wish to update to the latest Arduino 1.8.19 & TD 1.57) ??

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Just installed the latest stuff... still no go. I'm going to try it on another computer that has not been upgraded.

Edit: Still works on an un-upgraded computer, so I'm not dead in the water. I've put in a request to my IP department to get this resolved.

Do you see the small Teensy Loader window appear after your first compile?

If so, click Help > Verbose Info.

If it is able to listen for commands from Arduino, you should see a line like this:

Code:
09:07:29.603 (loader): Listening for remote control on port 3149

When Arduino actually compiles or tries to upload, there should be lines like this as the utilities Arduino runs connect with Teensy Loader

Code:
09:07:29.676 (loader): remote connection 14 opened

You should also see messages like this:

Code:
09:07:29.676 (post_compile 1): Sending command: comment: Teensyduino 1.58-beta3 - LINUX64 (teensy_post_compile)

The "(post_compile 1)" means it's a logged message from the post compile utility Arduino runs. The "(loader)" part means it's a message actually from Teensy Loader. This way a single log gives all the events which happened on both sides... that is, if your PC is allowing local programs to communicate with each other.

You can also copy the log with right-click and Copy, then here on the forum click the "#" button to create code tags and use Ctrl-V to paste it. The Verbose Info window also has a Log menu that lets you save all the message to a text file, which might be easier. On the forum with "Quick Reply" click "Go Advanced" to get to the editor which lets you attach a file to your message.

Well beggar my uncle, it just worked. The only thing I did was to poke around in the Arduino directory, and try to run Arduino from the command line.

I don't think my IT department could have fixed the issue that fast!

If it crops up again, I'll revive this thread and post the verbose info.

Back