Repository for changes to boards.txt etc.?

h4yn0nnym0u5e

Hi folks

Does anyone know (paging @PaulStoffregen here, obviously!) where one might find a repository for the boards.txt and similar files that form part of a Teensyduino package? I've tinkered with my own installation to enable extra IDE menu items to configure the Audio library settings, but there doesn't seem to be a clean route to starting from an official master, making a feature branch, and submitting a pull request for consideration.

A related question would be, given that I'm using the Joe Average approach of using Windows + Arduino 1.8.19, would there be any Mac, Linux and Arduino 2.x considerations that I'd need to be wary of?

The changes I’ve made appeared to need boards.txt modified before they would work, though that may be incompetence on my part. However, I believe boards.local.txt isn’t and shouldn’t be part of the TD installation, so it’s how to submit a revised boards.txt that’s of primary interest to me.

I’m thinking in terms of providing menu options in the IDE for audio sample rate, block size, USB channel count etc. These currently require library editing to change them, which is not ideal…

I used the Local stuff earlier to for example add MTP + Serial, before it was officially added, and it was a lot nicer than having to edit Boards.txt each time.

But sometimes it did require source code changes and/or changes to Platform.txt.

Like when I had a hacked up version, that added an Upload using sub-menu, which had the normal update using the Teensy sketch, but I hacked in a version, that did an SCP copy of the hex file to a specific directory on an RPI, and then I had a script running on RPI that would use teensy_loader_cli to program the teensy...

Good luck.

Yes, I managed to get personal stuff working by tinkering with boards.txt and boards.local.txt. It seemed impossible to add new options to the compiler command line just by editing boards.local.txt, though. Hence the question as to whether there's a route via a repo and PR to get such things rolled into the boards.txt of a TD beta / release.

I suspect Paul either has a monster set of scripts to build these things, or has to go through some horrendous manual editing process if a change is indicated ... neither of which is likely to be amenable to sticking up on github for the edification of the great unwashed!

There is no github repo with boards.txt and platform.txt.

I suspect Paul either has a monster set of scripts to build these things, or has to go through some horrendous manual editing process if a change is indicated

Can confirm both of those suspicions to be true.

Back