Replacing the 3.3V LDO on the Teensy 4.0

RetroD

Hello all,

Yesterday I was working to design an audio circuit for my Teensy 4.0, using a 16x2 character display to allow the user to change some parameters on the fly. The 16x2 LCD uses an I2C to SR output to control it. However, I accidentally shorted the 5V line and the SDA line together on my prototype while soldering and now the Teensy will not power on. I checked to see if there was a 3.3V signal and the output seems to be grounded. I then took the Teensy into work and used an IR camera on it to see where the hot spots are. Sure enough, U4, the 3.3V LDO was very hot compared to the rest of the board, and so was the fuse on the back side of the board.

Seeing as this is the only Teensy board I have ( don't worry, I've ordered more ), I'd like to try to replace the LDO. The schematic says that the LDO is a TLV75733P, but they are out of stock until October of next year. The TLV76733DRVR is is fairly close to the same pin configuration, only requiring me to short pints 1 & 2 together.

Would this change work as intended? Just wanted to get a second opinion so I don't damage my board further than what I already have.

I plan to connect 3.3V to the 3V pin when I get the chance tonight.

1.jpg

2.jpg

After attempting to power on the microcontroller by directly powering the 3.3V pin with 3.3V, I can now say that the microcontroller is fried. I even attempted removing the 3.3V regulator, however I still get no power-on LEDs, the board draws >1 amp, and the MCU gets fairly warm. Super unfortunate :(. Making a note to my future self to check conductivity between GPIO on the Teensy and the 5V line. Hopefully the next round of Teensy 4.0s come in soon.

Yes, the T4 processor cannot tolerate 5V at all, you have to be super careful if any 5V signals are around. Its always worth buzzing out a circuit before powering up for supply shorts and stuff life this - "check twice, buy once"

Back