Teensy 2.0++ USB HID Device with Serial keyboard

jcoxpgh

I'm in the process of creating a custom left-handed keyboard for gaming. I 3d printed one which uses a Teensy 2.0++ as the microcontroller. I wanted to create my own with some changes. I would like to be able to change the keybindings for my keyboard without reflashing the microcontroller every time. I've read that with USB HID you can do two-way communications and saw a tutorial to control a motor and read some sensors. . I was wondering if it's possible to have the Teensy 2.0++ to act like a keyboard, but also be able to somehow connect to it via a webpage or other program to set some key maps into eeprom. My other thought was to use some kind of esp32 to act as a webserver to allow me to read the eeprom values and send new ones to update the eeprom for keybinds in the teensy 2.0++ without reflashing it.

I would like to only use one microcontroller instead of making this complicated.

Maybe you could use the Teensy 4.1 and plug the keyboard into the USB header and then use the Teensy 4.1 to do any mapping changes. Talk to the Teensy over Ethernet it has the native ethernet already there. I have done a simple server on Teensy 4.1 as well as Heltec WifiKit32 and found the Teensy one easier. Maybe not the best, but the 2.0++ are getting hard to come by

Back