Comments on running Arduino 2.0

RichardFerraro

I have been operating for two days with Teensy 3.6 and 4.0 using Arduino 2.0. It coexists along with Arduino 1.8 with TeensyDuino. I had to restart the computer and reload TeensyDuino to get the Arduino/TeensyDuino to find its libraries (maybe just me).

TyCommander does not work (currently?)

Setup was pretty straight forward. TeensyDuino no longer needs to be run and its libraries are loaded automatically. The libraries arestored in:
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\teensy\hardware\avr\1.57.1\libraries
Set up a sketch/library folder for your libraries.

You can enable serial monitor or serial plotter which I find very useful.

A BIG issue that you will need to deal with is when you select a Teensy board there are two choices for serial port. For example, Teensy 4.0 COM3
and Teensy 4.0 Com3 Serial. The later is selected for you by default and IT DOES NOT WORK. Select the COM3 option and make sure that the Serial Monitor/Plotter accept just a LF.

I do see a bug in the Serial Plotter with respect to selecting different colors for the plots.

Other than that, it seems to be working and I like it.

IDE 2 usually not that painful? Though started here before release so some issues may have been glossed over.

The IDE may require restart after installing Teensy - but IDE 2 board manager install doesn't require or rely on TeensyDuino Installer from IDE 1.8 - it makes its own paths and folders.

<edit>: Note the old Zip install isn't the best anymore, as it worked before with IDE 1.8. On first AUTO update from IDE 2 it will download the installer and move everything to %appdata% in the case of Windows.

Teensy_Ports should work for SerMon, Paul fixed an issue with skipped lines and posted a trial EXE recently. Current is 1.57.1, or there is a Beta path for 1.58, not sure either updated yet to include.

Plotter is it's own thing that Teensy_Ports and TyComm don't do, but TyCommander does work and recently made a way to have it work 'mostly integrated' to IDE 2 for SerialMonitor use, see here. It still relies on Teensy.exe Loader for upload - but that is because Locked T_4.x's in use here, and going further, if it worked, would be less trivial.

I've been using IDE 2.0.x since it's RC days, and I no longer use IDE 1.0.
I was just experimenting with the (on my computer) "COM4" and the "COM4 Serial" connections.
When I connect using the "Teensy port" there is no Baud rate drop-down on the Serial Monitor. It just connects regardless of what baud you put into Serial.begin(). AT least, all the reasonable numbers I tried.
The "COM" port has to match between what you select in the Serial monitor drop-down and what you coded in the program. BUT, any change you make does not seem to take effect until you disconnect and reconnect the serial cable.
Quite a long time ago I had bought a UNO with a starter kit. At some point I copied some code from the web that had the Serial set to 9600, and my monitor was set to 115200. I was quite frustrated trying to debug the code (never thinking about that baud rate mismatch), and set the whole mess aside for years.
IDK what Paul leveraged to ensure his monitor code (which is what is used for the teensy ports) connects properly, but it does and I now use Teensy ports on Teensys, COMx on other boards.

- Wes, W5ZZO

defragster, I would suspect my pain threshold is less than yours. From following your work here over the years, I have great respect for your knowledge (far beyond mine).

I am not finding the same operation as either defragster or W5ZZO.

I just verified again.
1. I get no output with COM3 Serial (Teensy 4.0) when I select it, it indicates usb0/140000/0/D/3 in the drop down menu and provides no serial output.
2. Wes, when I select COM3 and am rewarded with the expected serial output, the output is correct regardless of what baud rate I select.

Must be something wonky with my install or environment.
Perhaps Bhuddism describes this best declaring you are one with your environment, and I agree, cause I am wonky.

Richie

I just verified again.
1. I get no output with COM3 Serial (Teensy 4.0) when I select it, it indicates usb0/140000/0/D/3 in the drop down menu and provides no serial output.
2. Wes, when I select COM3 and am rewarded with the expected serial output, the output is correct regardless of what baud rate I select.

I really want to figure out what's going wrong. Would you be willing to run some tests?

I did some tests and found this.

After I run TeensyDuino for Arduino 1.8, COM3 Serial (Teensy 4.0) as indicated by usb0/140000/0/D/3 does not produce serial output.

If I restart my Windows computer, COM3 Serial (Teensy 4.0) works (along with COM3.
Again, COM3 works for any set com rate.

Richie

On BAUD select: Teensy Serial Ports offers no 'Baud Select' because no Teensy uses that. It has Native USB support that automatically connects at the 'device speed' 12 or 480 Mbps. The 'baud rate' select is for those devices that have an onboard helper 'chip' that converts 'non-teensy' MCU UART to USB and that requires specifying the baud rate for that conversion. The Serial.begin( 'rate' ) - has no use for the 'rate' and it is ignored.

One thing to be sure is that only one PC side SerMon can attach to a port - if a second in the background has claimed it then it won't work.

There are also sometimes it seems the IDE 2 Serial Monitor has to be closed and then 're-opened' after upload for connection to occur. Seems I came across that in the other current IDE 2 thread. There is the case where it won't appear that the data is there, and the SerMon tab just needs 'scrolled' to redraw the output. But the sketch used there has LED feedback showing there is no Serial yet conencted and that connects with a SerMon 'Close' then 'Open' {'Second Issue' Here p#7}

Back