Arduino 2.0. Hmmmmmmm

KrisKasprzak

All,

I'm having a hard time navigating the library locations for the new Arduino 2.0 IDE, and where to put stuff. I have custom libraries for Teensy and some for Arduinos and I need to modify some of the default Arduino libs, and modify some libs for the ESP32.

I'm not sure where to put Teensy libs
a) C:\Users\kasprzak\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\teensy\hardware\avr\1.57.1\libraries
or here
b) D:\Arduino_Sketches\libraries

2. I've yet to find where the default Arduino libraries are stored

3. I've not even tried to get the ESP32 working, but will have similar questions on where it puts it's libs

Any help appreciated.

Kris

Click File > Preferences. The first item on the Settings panel should be "Sketchbook location". Whatever pathname you see, I believe you're supposed to create a "libraries" folder at that location and put your local libraries there.

I could be wrong, but a lot of this probably has not changed for those boards that were installed using the board manager, that is part of Arduino IDE.
That is the Arduino15 directory I believe was used earlier for boards I installed using the standard Arduino mechanism.

But if you installed ESP32 some other way, like some of the earlier ways:
<sketchfolder>/hardware/...
Then I don't remember if those ways currently work with IDE2 or not.

My ESP32 stuff is now installed using the board manager.

As for where to store libraries: There main library document has a lot of information:
https://arduino.github.io/arduino-cli/0.21/library-specification/#development-flag-file

Including a link to how the library references are resolved:
https://arduino.github.io/arduino-cli/0.21/sketch-build-process/#dependency-resolution

As for Arduino Default - They were (and maybe still are) installing the default libraries into the users sketch folder/libraries.

Not sure if that changed or not.

Edit: VisualMicro is a nice product, that I might use if I were doing major development and not spending a lot of my play time, trying to support the Teensy. So, I try to use the standardized way....
The negative I ran into with it, was their library search order behaved differently than Arduino.
That is with the Arduino IDE, if I have a library, like: SD which is installed by Teensy, and I have my own copy
of it in <sketches folder/library/SD than the IDE will choose the one out of my sketches folder (assuming no other rules, like differences in architecture). Where I believe VisualMicro sees the one the that Teensy installed and uses it. Could have changed since then

Last edited:
Click File > Preferences. The first item on the Settings panel should be "Sketchbook location". Whatever pathname you see, I believe you're supposed to create a "libraries" folder at that location and put your local libraries there.

This "Sketchbook location" needs to be verified after IDE 2 install as indeed that is where 'user' libs come from. Found it defaulted to the 'documents' folder that hadn't ever been used here and had to point it back to intended location at one point.

Back