USB hub weirdness

batmundo

Hi,

I'm running into some wackiness with USB hubs and cables while trying to connect a Teensy 3.5 to my Mac. Initially, the Teensy wasn't even connecting, and I eventually realized specific cables seemed to not work with the Teensy. Once I figured out which ones actually worked, then I found out that when the Teensy is connected through a hub, sometimes it would disappear from the list when I tried to upload some code, and wouldn't show up again until I connected it directly to the Mac with no hub.

Is this strictly a hub issue? Has anyone else experienced issues when using one? And, I'm guessing not all micro USB cables are the same?

Indeed some cables may be Charge Only cables with no connection of the data lines. Others may be of poor quality and fail to function as desired.

Hubs generally work really well - though some have oddities and being made 'cost effectively' ... YMMV

One on my desk replaced one that quit after a year that was a replacement for one mailed to PJRC for odd failure. It works well - up until it stops?

Some few+ times this year a Teensy goes missing from the HUB on programming? The T_4.x's that light the RED LED sit there with it on waiting for the computer to tell the uploader about it and that doesn't happen.

Then I found that unlike the prior HUB {all powered hubs} with fixed cord to the PC USB end, it has the "B" end plug where it can be reached. Pulling that so the PC chimes out ... and putting it back in attaches and the Teensy is found and is programmed.

So perhaps your HUB has been rejected and needs to be unplugged and replugged?

Ahh gotcha. Didn't know there were charge-only cables. Maybe my hub is having power issues - I noticed the indicator light for the port seems to flicker when the Teensy is connected...

Hub here has 7 switched ports and an LED on each when switched on. And when communicating the LED flickers. Not sure how common that is.

Cables when bought as data transfer cables or when included with DATA type devices for PC connection usually have the data lines - though not all built to the highest quality that might cost more.

Back