Alternative for Teensy4.1 code download, application code updates

sicco

I have a Teensy4.1 project where I may need to update code but where I cannot always use the microUSB connector and cable. That's because the Teensy sits inside a high pressure container, inside its own atmospheric chamber, and every wire extra in and out of that system is barely affordable. Plus the cable might be just too long for standard USB (also at low speed USB).

What I'd like to be able to do is download new code over other channels. Think RS485 over Serial1. Or over a CAN bus, that I do use also.

Is it conceivable that I push a binary or hex file onto the uSD card and then tell the Teensy to reboot (power on reset) and let it swallow that code file and then delete it from the SD card - just so that it behaves after that the same way as if I had loaded the code over the USB channel?

Wireless 'over the air' Teensy code updates (if it has a LoRa/WiFi/BT radio) - would that ever be possible at all?

Sicco:
What material is the high pressure container made of? If Stainless Steel or other metallic substance there is little chance of any RF penetrating the container to the Teensy.
There is somewhere on this forum a thread for over the wire Teensy programming, I believe it will take many different wired routes to accomplish this goal. Peruse this forum and you should be able to find the thread.

Regards,
Ed

Sicco:
What material is the high pressure container made of? If Stainless Steel or other metallic substance there is little chance of any RF penetrating the container to the Teensy.
There is somewhere on this forum a thread for over the wire Teensy programming, I believe it will take many different wired routes to accomplish this goal. Peruse this forum and you should be able to find the thread.

Regards,
Ed
When it's over the air, there will be a ceramic window that lets 868 MHz or 2.4GHz RF creep in and out. But with CAN wires and a RS485 pair I would go over a wire. It's just that the wire & high pressure feedthroughs cannot be USB, so that's why I was asking.

I did try to search the forum on how to load code if USB is not an option, but failed to get hits for T41.

Back