Product Request K20_120 T3.x like

DrM

Hi,

The Teensy 3.2 has been a workhorce for me. However, the significant limitation has been the usb. The K20_120, in the same family, offers a high usb. Could we please have a version of the T3 based on that chip?

Thank you

Looks like MK20FX512VMD12 would be the likely part number. At first glance, it looks pretty much the same as Teensy 3.6 without the HSRUN mode (for 180 MHz) and Ethernet.

And the answer to your question is most definitely no, zero chance a Teensy 3.x will be made with that chip!

Like all the other Kinetis K20-K60 chips, it's basically not available. We ordered large numbers of the chips for Teensy 3.2, 3.5, 3.6 in early 2021. Here we are at the end of 2022 and the latest updates from NXP are showing only a small number coming in 2023. Whether we get the rest in 2024 or even later is still uncertain. For all practical purposes, NXP just isn't able to make these chips in the foreseeable future.

Even if we could get the chip, without major work the software support would look very much like Teensy 3.6, with device mode supported on the full speed port and host mode on the high speed port.

But even just supporting it as Teensy 3.6 would involve major work which we just can't do right now.

Teensy 4.0 and 4.1 have 480 MBit/sec USB, on both device and host ports. They also have much higher CPU performance, which makes actually using that raw USB speed much more achievable for demanding tasks. And best of all, NXP is actually sending those chips, so we can really make Teensy 4.0 and 4.1. Both are in stock today and we're anticipating pretty good supply in 2023.

With the current worldwide shortage of parts, I wonder if he could even get them, in any reasonable time frame.
If I am looking at the right parts at digikey, they all show at least a year for lead time.

And how much of the board design would need to change, likewise for the software.

Thank you Paul. The T4 is wonderful, I am very happy with it for the linear ccd (12 bits is more than enough for a CCD - for rational people).

Which interface would make the most sense for an external ADC, 16 bits at 1 MS/s?

I know ADC's are available in SPI. Can the T4 do SPI?

---
Oops, should have looked more carefully, yes it lists SPI. Rephrasing, will there likely be any performance issues supporting a 16 bit, 1MS/s ADC?

Last edited:
Back