Teensy 4.1 PoE carrier

Ward

I just finished a design that may be of general interest. It's a Teensy 4.1 carrier with built-in 802.3bt 72W PoE negotiation, and the Teensy side fully electrically isolated from the Ethernet connection. There's a small regulator on board to power the Teensy and any additional small circuitry, and the unregulated PoE is made available on a header for off-board regulation to power any big stuff (motors, LED arrays) you want. All the Teensy pins are broken out, and there are 32 additional 5V outputs connected to a shift register chain attached to FlexIO 0. I use those for WS* drive with my TriantaduoWS2811 library, but they can be used for any purpose really, with an update rate of ~3 MSPS using DMA from RAM. Of course, Ethernet is routed to the Teensy's native Ethernet interface.
Teensy_PoE.jpg

Last edited:
This looks neat. I'd love to make sure this works with QNEthernet. Do you feel like trying one one or two of the examples?

Thanks, @shawn, and of course, I'd be happy to! I'll let you know what I find out. So far NativeEthernet has worked just fine, so I'd imagine QNEthernet will as well, the hardware is dead simple and seems to be solid.

This looks neat. I'd love to make sure this works with QNEthernet. Do you feel like trying one one or two of the examples?

I'll go you one better. It's been running QNEthernet for a few months now, sitting on my lawn running a pixel Christmas tree. Aside from a couple of incidental power cycles due to grid outages, it's been translating Art-Net (UDP) to pixel format 24/7 without visibly missing a beat or crashing. Consider me a satisfied user! BTW, the UDP receive queuing is critical in this application because I'm receiving and processing 2560 packets/second, but often they're coming in *right* on top of each other, so they may have to wait a few ms to be processed.

@Ward: I hope, like Paul, that you either publish your board or let me buy one, i'm very interested :)

Sorry it's taken me this long to get things in git. It's still not exactly in a presentable state, but you can find the design files here:
https://github.com/wramsdell/Teensy-4.1-PoE
It's in Altium, so unless you're running that package you'll probably need to download the free viewer. The Gerbers are in "Project Outputs for PE0024/Gerber/" and Excellon drill is in "Project Outputs for PE0024/NC Drill". The biggest problem you'll face is that the FDMQ8205A PoE bridge rectifier devices frequently go unobtanium. Looks like Mouser has them at the moment. Also, there are some pretty little parts on there, so you'll need decent SMT skills.

Thanks, Ward! That UDP receive queueing was added precisely because I needed it for receiving sACN reliably without skipping packets.

Back