Laser Tilt failsafe -- Teensy 4.1 + Bosch BNO055

FIT_APPSCITEC

Greetings All,
Please pardon my inexperience in this forum. I'll try and explain what we are trying to do....We need to build a failsafe into a laser projector, that will shut the laser off if the projector tilts more than 15 deg from level, but then will turn it back on once the tilt is below this threshold. It is a 200 mW 532 nm (green) laser with a fat beam lens, and runs on 3.3 V. We have the laser projector in a waterproof enclosure and can remotely turn the laser on and off with an external remotely controlled switch. I have a teensy 4.1 in the shop and picked up a Bosch BNO055 absolute orientation sensor to measure the pitch (y axis). What I would like to do is when the BNO055 exceeds a pitch of 15 deg the teensy can read this information and cut power or turn off the laser until the BNO055 is stable. I have gone through the adafruit tutorials and connected the devices and can visually show the output data in the serial monitor and the Adafruit 3D Model Viewer.
My questions are:
1. Should I power the laser off the teensy board and use this as a switch to turn the laser on/off?
2. Should I use the pwm outputs from the teensy to turn on/off a remote switch for the laser?
3. Any recommendations, thoughts, or other projects to look at to better understand the hardware?

Thanks for your time -- Ian

Back