Teensy 4.1 - Can it sustain 6v as power supply ?

Hello, this has probably already been asked, but I couldn't find it. Can the Teensy 4.1 support a 6v power supply?
If not, can a reduction of 0.7v (with a diode), so to 5.3v work?
Thanks,
Robin

5.3V is safer, since 5.5V is the recommended limit and 6V is the absolute max.

Higher input voltage causes the voltage regulator to heat up more. But it really depends on how much current you use. Turning on the ethernet with a really long cat5 cable with a lot of data continuously transmitted and writing at high sustained speed to a SD card and overclocking past 600 MHz will really use a lot more current. Underclocking to 528 MHz and not making heavy use of peripherals will reduce current.

So if you push close to 6 volts and you have sustained high current consumption, (carefully) check the temperature in that part of the board.

Given this is an RC model, is the 6V straight from a 2S LiFePO4 pack? That would actually be 6.6V or more when freshly charged - I'd suggest using a 5V LDO regulator.

Given this is an RC model, is the 6V straight from a 2S LiFePO4 pack? That would actually be 6.6V or more when freshly charged - I'd suggest using a 5V LDO regulator.

No Mark, it comes from a voltage regulator (at 6v). But thank you for the comment, it could have been a problem indeed.

The Q and D solution is to put a voltage dropping diode in line with the power supply, then you have 5.4 volts, or add two and you have 4.8 volts.

The Q and D solution is to put a voltage dropping diode in line with the power supply, then you have 5.4 volts, or add two and you have 4.8 volts.

This is the alternative solution that I myself proposed in my initial question. But thanks for confirming that it makes sense.

Back