Dual LaunchPads with Teensy 4.1 using USB HosControl External Synths vis MIDI DIN

Expensive Notes

I have now used 2 launchpads as screens/keyboards to generate sequences for 4 external synths via MIDI. Two launchpads make it easier to have 16 steps in a sequence.

Here is an example of it in action for Jamuary.

Happy to answer any questions people might have.

Great! More launchpads and Teensies makes me happy.

Are you using midi clk for synchronization? I found my Launchpad/Teensy combo is not too fond of that at the moment.

In mine the Teensy provides the clock. I just divide up the delay for the BPM into 6 sub delays and send MIDI clock on each of these.

Code:
void sendMidiClockDelay(int dly) {
  if (dly < 0) dly = 6;
  //cut up delay for MIDI clock and ratchets
  int shortdly = dly / 6;
  for (int midiClockTicks = 0 ; midiClockTicks < 6; midiClockTicks++) {
    t1 = millis();
    int t2 = t1;
    Serial1.write(midi_clock); //I have 5 MIDI outs via DIN and just use channel 1 for all outputs to keep it simple
    Serial2.write(midi_clock);
    Serial3.write(midi_clock);
    Serial5.write(midi_clock);
    Serial7.write(midi_clock);
    while (t2 - t1 < shortdly) {
      delay(5);
      t2 = millis();
    }
  }
}

[FONT=&quot]#Jamuary 2023 - Dual Launchpad (Teensy Controlled) Jam with Drone Enabled. RD-6, TD-3, Volca FM & Keys[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Using my Bespoke Teensy Controlled Dual Launchpad system.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is more of a demonstration of jamming using my system than a great Jam. ;-)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No patterns were created before starting. I used the random pattern function to generate one pattern and I also tested some new functions:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Drum Ratchet[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Probability per Step[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Synth Drone[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Teensy System is now capable of driving 4 synths and 1 drums machine via dedicated MIDI outs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Synths:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Volca FM: Nice drone sounds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Volca Keys: Crunchy Delay/Echo[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RD-6: Drums[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TD-3: Random pattern[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Conways Game Of Life Does Ambient[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I used the Teensy Controlled Launchpads to Play Conways Game of Life. The "cells" dictate the notes to be played by the three synths. Yellow Cells are living cells, green are new born and red cells are dead. Each synth is allocated a colour to play in a scale. I added Valhalla Supermassive to each track later…[/FONT]

Back