Porting Atmega2560 code to Teensy 4.1

mohit

Hi,
I have an existing project for a custom board using Atmega2560 made on PlatformIO on VSCode.

I use EEPROM to store some configuration data. My code takes Serial data from all serial ports of Atmega2560 connected to sensors like GPS, inclinometer and compass and sends it to another controller.

I will post my code if required but it is a large project so I am not posting it right now.

I imported Arduino-Blink example for Teensy4.1 and changed the src with my src folder, lib with my lib folder.

I have made basic changes to the code like disabling GPIO port manipulation etc which was specific to Atmega.

When I Verify the code it gives the following error

Code:
In file included from C:\Users\DELL\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy\cores\teensy4/WProgram.h:41:0,
                 from C:\Users\DELL\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy\cores\teensy4/Arduino.h:6,
                 from src\misc.h:6,
                 from src\BUC_TERR.cpp:2:
C:\Users\DELL\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy\cores\teensy4/avr/pgmspace.h:30:52: error: section attribute not allowed for 'arr'
 #define PROGMEM __attribute__((section(".progmem")))
                                                    ^
lib\Flash\src/Flash.h:71:33: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
   _FLASH_STRING(const char *arr PROGMEM);
                                 ^
C:\Users\DELL\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy\cores\teensy4/avr/pgmspace.h:30:52: error: section attribute not allowed for '_arr'
                                                    ^
lib\Flash\src/Flash.h:105:20: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
   const char *_arr PROGMEM;
                    ^
C:\Users\DELL\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy\cores\teensy4/avr/pgmspace.h:30:52: error: section attribute not allowed for 'arr'
                                                    ^
lib\Flash\src/Flash.h:200:40: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
   _FLASH_STRING_ARRAY(const char **arr PROGMEM, size_t count) : _arr(arr), _size(count) {}
                                        ^
C:\Users\DELL\.platformio\packages\framework-arduinoteensy\cores\teensy4/avr/pgmspace.h:30:52: error: section attribute not allowed for '_arr'
                                                    ^
lib\Flash\src/Flash.h:223:21: note: in expansion of macro 'PROGMEM'
   const char **_arr PROGMEM;

I have no idea where to look for this kind of error. It does not seem to be related directly to the code, but to the libraries.

If the program is large, perhaps pushing it to GitHub or some online text storage might be a good idea so that people could have a look.

If the program is large, perhaps pushing it to GitHub or some online text storage might be a good idea so that people could have a look.

Hi,
Thanks for the response.

Please find the link to my project.

Code:
https://github.com/mohitsingh2806/pjrc_query.git

Can someone help me out here. This ks the first time I am using Teensy. The code works perfectly fine for atmega2560.

Do you have a copy which works with Arduino IDE?

Hi,

Thanks for response.

I do not have a version which works with Arduino IDE as I had to move to VSCode when the code started becoming too big for me to handle.

I will try to make a copy which works with arduino IDE and upload here if it helps.

Have you tried deleting "PROGMEM" from all the places with "error: section attribute not allowed"? Seems like the easy and obvious first step.

Looking only briefly at your code, I see you have a "lib" folder where you've copied several popular libraries like Ethernet and a variant of the EEPROM library. Teensy has its own versions of these libraries which you might need to use.

Have you tried deleting "PROGMEM" from all the places with "error: section attribute not allowed"? Seems like the easy and obvious first step.

Looking only briefly at your code, I see you have a "lib" folder where you've copied several popular libraries like Ethernet and a variant of the EEPROM library. Teensy has its own versions of these libraries which you might need to use.

Thanks a lot for the response.
I replaced
Code:
with
Code:
#define PROGMEM

As you pointed out, it has resolved the current issue. I am able to compile my code now.

I have replaced the EEPROM and Ethernet libraries too.

I did not know enough about PROGMEM to have seen this issue as I assumed it would not create problems as it was included from within the Teensy framework.
Thanks again.

Back