Teensy 4.0 broken USB

frohr

Hi,
I have Teensy 4.0 and project where I send data via USB cable to PC. But quite offten I hav problem, if I touch the cable or Teensy in plastic box, then Teensy is starting connecting and disconnecting and I have to move with micro usb connector many times to connect again. Do you have eny experience how to solve it? Maybe use any external usb connector?
I need very durable connector solution beacuse I use my project in field mesurements and speed of USB in the same time.

For you information, this is the box:
box.jpg

Thank you!

Sounds to me that the USB cable is not inserted all the way into the Teensy 4 USB connector. Is the opening in the plastic housing large enough to let the cable through? Can you show us a close-up photo of the Teensy USB connector with the USB cable plugged in?
Another possibility is that 1 or more pins of the USB connector on the Teensy 4 have a bad contact due to mechanical stress. Or pins from the USB connector to the PCB have come partly loose.

Paul

Yes, connector is all inserted (tried without box). Seems loose a lot. Tried many cables. I can move the connector left/right very easily and Teensy is connecting / disconnecting. Is there any way how to correct it?
1) Because this is project for mesuring at construction site, lot of dust, etc. - how to solve heavy duty usb connection to laptop?
2) Is there another way how to connect to laptop and send about 500kB in less than one second?

connector.jpg

Or pins from the USB connector to the PCB have come partly loose.

I'd check those surface mount pads on the USB connector very closely and try reflowing the solder to them.

If that fixes it, think about reworking your enclosure to use a more robust connector, maybe with something like this:

3258-02.jpg
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3258

If that connector breaks, then you can replace it more easily than fixing or replacing the Teensy.

Are the pins in the orange circle still connected OK?

T4 USB pins.jpg

1) Because this is project for mesuring at construction site, lot of dust, etc. - how to solve heavy duty usb connection to laptop?
2) Is there another way how to connect to laptop and send about 500kB in less than one second?

On 1: perhaps this kind of connector?

KW-1497_0-766x511w.jpg

Micro-USB and heavy duty are not companions...

On 2: you may want consider a high speed serial connection with an industrial dust/water-proof 3-pin connector?
3) a metal box may also be wise on a construction site.

Paul

You might find one of these with it's protective cap more robust in those sort of environments. That is as long as the cap is replaced each time.
USB Extension Socket right angle.png

Are the pins in the orange circle still connected OK?

View attachment 30255

On 1: perhaps this kind of connector?

View attachment 30256

Micro-USB and heavy duty are not companions...

On 2: you may want consider a high speed serial connection with an industrial dust/water-proof 3-pin connector?
3) a metal box may also be wise on a construction site.

Paul

Pins looks connected ok.

"high speed serial connection with an industrial dust/water-proof 3-pin connector"

What is it? I do not know this connection.

Also I have to solve problems like lot of noise from USB cable. But if I use USB replicator, the noise is low.

Seems loose a lot. Tried many cables. I can move the connector left/right very easily and Teensy is connecting / disconnecting. Is there any way how to correct it?
USB connector pushed in many times and probably not carefully. That is probably the source of your bad connections.
Probably about time to change the connector to a chassis mount one as has been described to you.
Otherwise the Teensy may well stop connecting to the PC with that worn Socket.

"high speed serial connection with an industrial dust/water-proof 3-pin connector"

What is it? I do not know this connection.

E.g. RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, etc. And then select a suitable industrial connector.

Paul

To 'rescue' the worn USB connector, you may try to press [very gently] the top and bottom metal closer together using pliers.

Untitled.png

But that's definitely not a permanent solution...

Paul

Is possible use D+ D- GND and 5v to send data? If yes, I can make special USB cable and use something like military connectors.

Is possible use D+ D- GND and 5v to send data? If yes, I can make special USB cable and use something like military connectors.

On T_4.0 bottom side pads? That D+ and D- are to USB_Host port. Data could be sent to a Device - but not to a Host using those underside pads.
Device could be a hard drive or flash drive or other supported device adapter - seems one was wired ethernet.

Back