Dead Teensy 4.1 - repairable?

axg20202

My Teensy 4.1 died, possibly by a short to the 3.3v output. It's also possible the 3v out might have seen 5v momentarily. It was running on a breakout board when it died, and a 3.3v-powered logic gate tied to the 3.3v pin died at the same time. Difficult to know without further info, but is replacing the voltage regulator IC (NCV8186AMN330TAG ??) on the Teensy likely to bring it back to life or is it destined for the round filing cabinet?

The regulator on the T4.1 that supplies the 3V3 is short-circuit tolerant.
But the CPU, powered by that same 3V3 regulator, would definitely not be happy with even a momentary 5V on its power pins.

Paul

If you want to attempt replacing the NCV8186AMN330TAG regulator anyway, I'll be happy to give you a spare part at no charge when you order a replacement Teensy 4.1. Just mention this forum thread in the "additional instructions" field when placing a new order.

Thanks Paul. Very good of you. Alas, I already have a replacement Teensy. I just considered fixing the dead one if possible. As it's probably the CPU that's dead, it's probably not worth it. Must be the most expensive component, BGA etc.

If you really want to pour more time into it, you could remove the NCV8186AMN330TAG and then try externally applying 3.3V. Best to use a current limited lab bench power supply with a limit around 150mA. Even if you don't have the correct power startup sequence, you should be able to see pretty quickly if you get 3.3V or the over-current protection gets triggered and you end up with something like 0.5 to 0.9 volts.

Back