OctoWS2811 Fried?

Jayzenn

Good morning,

I've got an issue that came up last night with my Teensy OctoWS2811 board. I'm using a teensy 4.0 with a WS2811 to drive various BTF-lighting led strips totaling 720 LED's in a daisy chained configuration. Power is provided individually to each matrix separately using a BTF-Lighting A5V60A PSU. Up until yesterday everything was working fine. I was able to run the blink tests and get various light sequence programs to run across all 720 LED's. I noticed last night that out of all the matrix strips only 41 LED's on the first strip coming off of the WS2811 were lighting. I verified power going into the PSU off of each rail and power going into each matrix at 5v. I then discovered the WS2811 had burn marks on the back of two of the pads where it attached to some plastic stand offs for mounting. My assumption is that in my newbie crappy soldering job soldering the teensy to the octo, I created solder overflow to the two pads, tried to clean it up best I could but that those contact points of the overflown solder to the metal insert inside of the standoff via the mounting screw caused the issue. As far as I can tell my PSU is working via multimeter along with the teensy as I can compile and upload programs to it. I'm curious to get anyone's opinion on if it turns out to be the WS2811 what are the odds that I may have damaged any of my LED matrix's? I've got a new WS2811 on order as well as a teensy to be safe so won't know until then. Just hoping someone can clarify what I may, or may not, have fried! :) Thanks in advance for sticking through the long read and for any advice!

TLDR: Possibly Fried WS2811...what else did I fry?

20230207_183215 - Copy.jpg66495 (1) - Copy.jpeg

Back