Proper Way to Power Teensy 4.0/4.1 via Vin pin?

Svarun123

I'm working on a project in which I want a Teensy 4.0 to be powered via the Vin pin, instead of the USB connection.

Capture2.PNG

According to the advice of a friend, I supplied a 5V input from my power supply to the Vin pin of my Teensy 4.0, to test whether it can be powered. I made sure that one of the GND pins is connected to my ground of the power supply.
That unfortunately appears to have killed the Teensy. I smelled some burning plastic, and disconnected it immediately. It remains unresponsive, even with a USB connection.

Luckly I have a spare Teensy 4.0, however before attempting something like that again, I wanted to ask here about what the proper way of powering a Teensy 4.0 via the Vin pin, instead of the USB connection?

I searched online as well, and found the PJRC's own guide on how to supposedly use an external power supply to power a Teensy. However, the example Teensy they use there looks very different from the Teensy 4.0 I'm using. Here's what mine looks like from the bottom:

image1.jpg

As you can see, there are many pads that are not simillar to the ones used in the PJRC's guide. I would apparently need to "cut the trace that would connect the 5V pads", however I can't see a "5V pad" anywhere on the back of my Teensy 4.0.

Is what I'm trying to achieve even possible with a Teensy 4.0? Also, how would one accomplish the same with a Teensy 4.1?

Thanks for reading my post, any guidance is appreciated.

I searched online as well, and found the PJRC's own guide on how to supposedly use an external power supply to power a Teensy. However, the example Teensy they use there looks very different from the Teensy 4.0 I'm using. Here's what mine looks like from the bottom:
If you read the text you will see that the Teensy being talked about there is a Teensy 2.0.

If you read the text you will see that the Teensy being talked about there is a Teensy 2.0.

Thanks for your reply;

Thank you for pointing that out, I did not notice that.

So how would I do the process for a Teensy 4.0? Since there is no "5V" pad that I could cut the trace to or from. Is there another guide for the Teensy 4.0? I haven't been able to find one online so far...

Back