The Machine

snowsh

Today I ordered the first batch of PCBs for my project "The Machine".
It is a sequencer unlike any other. Until I have proper videos made to explain it, I have just made public my development videos. Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUN9CnfSMrLdHHlljDbr5pa-qnRDuYMZA

At its heart is a T4.1. Its been an epic project. Its an idea I had many many years ago back in college but never thought I had the skills to pull it off. When I got a Tsynth project in 2020, and looked at the code I realised I could probably do it. I started work on it in the first lockdown, and last year the prototype you see in these videos had a public showing in New York.

ASEQCII-rethink-feb-ANNOTATE_NEW-1.jpg

As you can see its a big board. This is the biggest project I have done and I am nervous. I have been working on the pcb design for what seems like an age, so many revisions to get the price right. This one was submitted last night and should be with me in a week. SMD parts assembled, all I have to do is add buttons and pots and solder up the PSU board..... I hope it works :D

Thanks to all who have answered my questions, most of which were probably basic to begin. I have enjoyed this journey - as much as it has driven me mad, it has actually kept me sane over the past few years...

Very intimidating! It's combining normal sequencing with generative? A massive PCB. Have you considered how the front panel will be made?

Very intimidating! It's combining normal sequencing with generative? A massive PCB. Have you considered how the front panel will be made?

The front panel will be black tint transparent. for initial prototypes I will use an acrylic. Its hard to tell from the pcb render, but there are also OLED screens..... The body will likely be formed off a metal sheet running the whole length of the pcb, with a cutout for the expansion connection. complicated to explain but the idea is actually quite simple. I will update the FB scrapbook as the project progresses https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090770259420

Last edited:
Sounds good, it'll be interesting to see it finished. The LEDs need something translucent to spread the light, but I guess the OLEDs will require cutouts.

Sounds good, it'll be interesting to see it finished. The LEDs need something translucent to spread the light, but I guess the OLEDs will require cutouts.

So far my prototype uses a sheet of paper to diffuse the WS2812s, and a sheet of car window tint. Works really well and the OLEDs look great through the tint. SO the thinking is to use acrylic with a tint, or stick with the tint film under transparent. Gorrilla glass would be the next logical step but thats not cheap.

The PCBs should be with me in a week or so, then im off to a friends who has 3d printers and CNC machines so we will piecce together a case. Im looking forward to it. I put a load of videos up on youtube but this is the breadboard prototype without the tint. i will try to dig out some more videos showing it as it ws when I gigged it in Manhattan last year....

Back