Name of this cable for grounding two PCBs?

flocked

Does anybody know the name of this cable for grounding two PCBs (it has the same connector on both sides)? I need it for my schematic design but dont know where to find it.

IMG_3379_s.png

@flocked:

I am not aware of the standard name of the entire cable assembly as shown in your photo, but I believe that the ends are commonly called "ring terminals". Maybe that will help in your search ??

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

The connectors are called 'ring terminals', and are usually crimped to the cable (as in 'crimped ring terminal'). They are extremely common whenever grounding is needed, and widely used in cars.
They are characterized by the wire gauge, and the size of the hole.

For example, a #4 (say, Pandit PV22-4R) has a 0.12" = 3.05mm diameter hole, ring outer diameter is 0.21" = 5.33mm, and a total length of 0.68" = 17.3mm, typically used with say 26 to 22 AWG (0.13mm² to 0.33m² cross sectional area) solid or stranded wire.

The reason it is just eight small "studs" and not a plated through hole, is cheapness. With just eight studs, the pressure applied by the screw or bolt will be focused on those eight points, hopefully making a good contact. A better solution is a plated through hole and a lock washer (non-flat washer, with "vanes" or "teeth").

In my own designs, I would first select a standard size crimped ring terminal, and do a plated through hole of the same size, maybe my own symbol for the silkscreen (or just add it to the silkscreen by hand). Make the outer diameter larger than needed, as the bolt through the center usually has room around it to account for imprecision in manufacturing.

Back