4-Channel Audio with Rev D2 audio shield

dthayford

I searched the forum but didn't find an answer to this question.

It looks like the connection to the I2C address line was removed between Rev D and Rev D2. In that case, how do you communicate with the second audio shield?

Thanks.

Sorry, just read the note below the schematic for Rev D2 that says the I2C address is not configurable because of the change from 32-pin to 20-pin SGTL5000.

You would need to wire the 2nd board's SDA & SCL signals to a different I2C port.

Later in 2023 we'll get the 32 pin chips and start making Rev D again.

If you aren't changing things all that often via I2C, another option is to use an I2C multiplexer. You would have to not connect pins 18/19 directly to the Teensy from the audio shield, and connect each board to a separate I2C setup. I don't recall if the software has the ability to use a 2nd I2C bus or not.

You would need to wire the 2nd board's SDA & SCL signals to a different I2C port.

Later in 2023 we'll get the 32 pin chips and start making Rev D again.
Hi!
I followed wiring instruction as in this post:
but channel 3 & 4 didn't work on the second audio board (Rev D2).
Is there a wiring tutorial (possibly step by step with images!!! I'm a musician, I'm not really strong with this) for D2 to have 4 channel output?
Please HELP!!!

You can't use a Rev D2 for both audio boards, you need at least one Rev D, Typically you'd use the D2 unmodified and the D as the second one, modifying it by (a) changing its I²C address and (b) re-wiring its data pins: pin 7 to OUT1B and pin 8 to OUT1D aka IN1B.

...or as Paul said in post #3, instead of (a), wire the I²C to a different port and get down and dirty with the Audio library to enable use of Wire1 as well as Wire - not recommended for those who are "not really strong with this"!

Back