Joining ws2812b strips

markvr

I'd like to build a quite a large grid out of ws2812b strips, which are 4 wire led ribbons. I'd rather not have to cut/strip wire and solder every single connection at the ends as it will be so fiddly and take so long.

There are various clip connectors online but they are all L shaped and I need U shaped. Trying to use two L connectors would be too bulky.

I know others have built large grids using these grids, how did you connect the strips of ribbon?!

I solder them together using the led side on one and the reverse (adhesive) side on the other. I remove the adhesive with an xacto scrape
tin the leads, line up the two strips, then heat from the top. I always test for shorts as you won't see the result.
Mostly it works, some I have to reheat. They seem pretty reliatble.

The WS2812 strips I have used were all 3 conductor rather than 4. Never very large arrays, so I did not have to worry about extra power part way down the chain. I tinned the connector on each side and then soldered short wires between them. I was bending at the connections, making infinity cubes, etc. It was never terribly reliable and needed retesting after things were bent into the final shape.

Back