Motorola Radio Sending Midi Stop in Teensy 4.0?

Hi, I produce midi controllers for use in live shows and one of my customers recently reported that using a Motorola radio (walkie talkie) in close proximity of the controller was causing it to spontaneously send a MIDI stop signal. The device uses a Teensy 4.0 and doesn't have any wireless, bluetooth, or radio products on-board. These devices don't use a RF blocking USB cable and they really aren't much besides some simple midi control code.

Has anyone experienced this kind of interference or have any suggestions for prevention?

Not sure if you are using a metal case for your midi controller, but that would help shield it. And using ferrite clamp chokes on all wires going to your midi controllers, including power, usb and midi. Chokes are a common way to reduce RF noise on power cables and usb cables. Though I have not been able to find an example of anyone using a choke on a midi cable, I think it would be worth a try.

Last edited:
Roland's XV-5080 has a N2012Z601T02 (600 Ohms @ 100 Mhz) on each signal pin of Midi in and Midi out sockets.

Also possible that the receiving device is the culprit.

Thanks for the helpful responses @radiohound and @MatrixRat. I've suggested using USB cables with ferrite beads and I'm told the error only occurs when using this particular MIDI controller so it's a bit of a head scratcher. I'll continue to investigate.

Back