DAW having problems seperating two teensy USB midi controllers

InYourPhase

Hello everybody,
I have that dream-project of mine. I create DAW (Digital Audio Interface) controllers in eurorack format. Each controller is dedicated to an effect in my effects-chain in my DAW-Project. For example: when I open Ableton Live, I can control the compressor of my guitar track (or any track that is currently selected/highlighted) with the compressor midi-controller. I can controll the EQ of the selected track with my EQ Controller and so on.

All these devices run on Teensy LC. However, Ableton Live has problems recognizing them as different devices. If I plug in only one Teensy-Device, it's all recognized correcltly and something like MIDIComp appears as a selectable device.
However, when I connect the second Teensy-Device ("MIDIequalizer") the first one disappears and instead there is a "MIDIequalizer" and a "MIDIequalizer #2".

I changed the midi device names and also the names that appear in the windows device manager. But it didn't help at all. Ableton Live keeps messing up when 2 Teensies are connected.

Does anyone know what I could do here and what the reason could be?

Ok, so i figured out, that it all works fine if i declare one teensy-device to be a USB MIDI device and the other one to be a USB MIDI + Serial device. Those have two different settings give the teensy-devices different product IDs.
My conclusion is that Ableton Live overwrites/updates its registry (or whatever) as soon as it sees a new device with the exact same product ID so both of them end up with the same name.

Now I would like to try to edit the product-ID. As I read from other posts, the vendor-ID is something you should not mess around with. Is there somehing specific to product IDs that I need to know before editing?

best wishes.

Perhaps assigning another MIDI name works as well? See paragraph 'Customizing the MIDI Name' on this page.

Paul

Back